Antwort auf: Miles Davis

#9955787  | PERMALINK

vorgarten

2. märz 1978. „miss last summer“.

notizen eines abwesenden. ein einfaches bassriff, auf- und absteigend, dazu ein paar keyboardsounds und eine darüber solierende e-gitarre als hauptdarstellerin. larry coryell hat diese session angesetzt, miles das simple motiv dafür komponiert, der bass ist von t.m. stevens, an den keyboards sitzen george pavlis und der sehr gut informierte masabumi kikuchi. der hatte da schon sein album „kochi“ im kasten, aufgenommen mit dave liebman, steve grossman, mtume,reggie lucas und al foster. die entsprechende passage aus seinem interview mit ethan iverson:

EI: You played with Miles a little bit, right?

MK: Yeah. He came here, to this apartment. He was funny… and I think fourteen other musicians came. I told them Miles was coming and they just showed up.

EI: Did you record with Miles?

MK: I think so.

EI: But it never came out, right?

MK: There’s one track we recorded. We were rehearsing at that time and Miles was staying at Larry Coryell’s house. So Miles called me and Al Foster to go out to Connecticut. And Miles sent a Limo to pick us up. So we went out there but nothing happened.

EI: Sort of waiting around for Miles to do something, but nothing happens, right?

MK: Mhm. Miles got a tour, somehow connected to Willie Nelson’s manager. In that moment he was interested in hiring Sly Stone for bass with Sam Morrison, Pete Cosey and Azzedine Weston. Gil Evans would be the arranger-in-residence. Sly didn’t show the first day, and then the next night Miles said he was busted…… So that was that.

wie wir wissen, ging miles erst wieder im mai und juni 1980 ins studio. doch das ist ein anderes kapitel in diesem thread und wird wohl nicht von mir geschrieben.

--