Antwort auf: Die beste Version von … "Summertime" und anderen Stücken

#11614341  | PERMALINK

thelonica

vorgarten powell war wahrscheinlich 1954 herum nicht so in tanzschuppen unterwegs.

Aber er war ja oft noch im Birdland zu der Zeit, ganz in der Nähe vom Palladium Ballroom, wo Tito Puente oder Machito auf der Bühne standen. Wahrscheinlich stehen solche besonderen Ereignisse nur in dem Bud Powell Buch „Wail – The Life Of Bud Powell“ von Peter Pullman.

TAYLOR:  Well, I was influenced by the same man who sort of indoctrinated Dizzy — that was Mario Bauza.  Mario was the musical director of the Machito band, and he was one of the greatest musicians I’ve ever met.  I mean, he was just wonderful.  A fine teacher, a very inspirational mentor.  He just picked me… I was working in the relief band, and their piano player, Joe Loco, was drafted, and Mario picked me to play in the band until they could get another pianist up from Cuba.  They had a guy they wanted to bring because they knew Joe was going to be drafted, but evidently he was called up before they were ready and they couldn’t get this guy up.  So I got a chance to play with the band until he arrived.

How long was that?

TAYLOR:  Not very long.  It was at an engagement at a place on Broadway called La Conga.  In those days were several Latin clubs right on Broadway.  Noro Morales was playing around the corner from us.

https://tedpanken.wordpress.com/2011/07/24/dr-billy-taylor-90th-birthday-anniversary-interview-oct-14-1999/

--