Antwort auf: Funde aus dem Archiv (alte Aufnahmen, erstmals/neu veröffentlicht)

#11385535  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Es gab ja schon vor Michael Jackson einen Michael Jackson, Michael Gregory Jackson genau genommen. Und vor ein paar Wochen erschien auf Bandcamp (DL only) ein Mitschnitt aus dem Ladies Fort, dem Loft/Club von Joe Lee Wilson, 1977 mit Julius Hemphill, Abdul Wadud und Pheeroan akLaff aufgenommen. Kommt auf den Zettel für Freitag in einer Woche!

“Frequency Equilibrium Koan” is one of my personal documentations of that scene. These pieces were some of the many long form compositions that I was writing and performing at that time. F.E.K. was recorded live at the late great singer Joe Lee Wilson’s venue The Ladies Fort in 1977 on my trusty Sony field recording cassette machine. This recording is not without some sound issues, it’s a little bright here and there, there’s some breaking up, and a bit of gritty dirt/old tape saturation…a stamp of time passed, in music that is wholly present.
– Michael Gregory Jackson 2021

https://michaelgregoryjackson.bandcamp.com/album/frequency-equilibrium-koan

“Michael Gregory Jackson has long been one of my favorite musicians,” said Pat Metheny. “I always considered him one of the most significantly original guitars of our generation, with his own distinctive sound and point of view.”

Bill Frisell adds: “I first heard Michael Gregory Jackson in 1975 when I moved to Boston. He blew my mind and influenced me a lot. I believe he’s one of the unsung innovators.”

Frequency Equilibrium Koan is an authentic document of the without-a-net creativity and exhuberance of no-hold-barred this era. It is a performance of four lengthy compositions recorded by Jackson on his trusty Sony cassette machine in 1977 at The Ladies’ Fort. It finds the then 23-year-old guitarist leading a quartet featuring saxophonist Julius Hemphill, drummer Pheeroan akLaff and cellist Abdul Wadud.

https://nysmusic.com/2021/02/23/nyc-loft-jazz-of-the-1970s-comes-alive-with-frequency-equilibrium-koan-by-michael-gregory-jackson/

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #152: Enja Record, 1971-1973 – 14.05., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba