Antwort auf: Jazz-Glossen

#11374055  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Auf JSTOR gab es kürzlich einen kleinen Text zu Phil Moore, inkl. weiterführende Links. Hier ein Auszug:

He headed to Seattle in 1930, graduating from high school at age thirteen. By that time, his father had lost the hotel and their life savings, and the youngest Moore needed to lend a hand. His musical background proved useful, and he found work in speakeasies and burlesque clubs as a house pianist. “The ladies all wanted to have a class act,” Moore explained. “So they would want to do Debussy and all kinds of fancy music to start out with […] I could read it, so therefore I got the job.”

After a well-timed move to Los Angeles in 1935 (“Hollywood was just beginning to experiment with jazz numbers performed by Black musicians in the late 1930s,” Sewald explains), Moore got his first film job working on the Marx Brothers’ A Day at the Races. MGM hired him as a rehearsal pianist in 1941—making him the first salaried Black musician to ever be hired by a major studio. He moved on to arranging and composing, though his influence wasn’t always acknowledged.

You may unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the provided link on any marketing message.
Much of Moore’s work was, as he put it, as “an official ghost, meaning one who did a hell of a lot of music sketching and arranging, but very rarely getting any credit.” Though his career seemed to be moving forward, he felt stuck. “For about three years,” Moore said, “they would not let me orchestrate any scores that needed violins and strings—just jazzy big band production numbers where we had to sound ‘hot.’ The thing was, I presume, how would a colored person know anything about strings and all that legit stuff?”

Den ganzen Text und darunter Links zu einer Zusammenstellung von Credits sowie einem Aufsatz hier:
https://daily.jstor.org/the-amazing-story-of-phil-moore-hollywood-star-maker/

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba