Re: Delia Hardy’s 7"-Faves

#9175035  | PERMALINK

delia-hardy
Adlerauge

The Clash – Know Your Rights

“[MTV] wanted to interview me about making videos for the Clash. When I got to the studio, everyone looks at me like I’ve shit myself. After an embarrassing five minutes, a guy sits me down and says, ‘I don’t know how to tell you this, we can’t do the interview. We didn’t realize you were black.’ ”
~ Don Letts

„Know Your Rights“ erschien 1982 als Vorbote zu Combat Rock und steht wahrscheinlich etwas im Schatten der allgemein wesentlich bekannteren Hits „Rock The Casbah“ und „Should I Stay Or Should I Go“. Doch während ich den durchaus immensen Pop-Appeal der beiden letztgenannten Tracks sehr wohl schätze, so ist es doch dieses im Vergleich spröde Werk, das mir in seiner stoischen Kaltblütigkeit und seiner abgebrühten, schnörkellosen Militanz mittlerweile das liebste ist.

Eröffnet durch die Zeile „This is a public service announcement…with guitars!“ zählt Joe Strummer im folgenden die drei Rechte auf, die man besitzt.

Das erste Recht: The right not to be killed. Murder is a crime, unless it is done by a policeman, or an aristocrat.
Das zweite Recht: The right to food money, providing of course, you don’t mind a little investigation, humiliation, and, if you cross your fingers, rehabilitation.
Das dritte Recht: The right to free speech (as long as you’re not dumb enough to actually try it).

Der Ruf nach mehr wird laut…:

It has been suggested
In some quarters that this is not enough!
Well…

…doch der Erzähler lässt die Forderungen abblitzen. Nur eines wird noch versprochen:

You have the right to remain silent
You are warned that anything you say
Can and will be taken down
And used as evidence against you

~ * * * * 1/2

--

…because life is full of important things.