Re: Jimmy Heath

#8702477  | PERMALINK

thelonica

ferry
Die Heath-Brüder sind bestimmt auch noch ein lohnenswertes Thema, das kann man ja vielleicht noch hier unterbringen.

Muss man sogar hier unterbringen. Mittlerweile gefällt mir das Spiel von Albert „Tootie“ Heath auch viel besser, vielleicht weil sein Spiel oft eine gewisse (originelle) Leichtigkeit hat. Ich mag das sehr, erinnert mich teilweise an Jo Jones und Kenny Clarke. Aber Tootie hat sich auch mit Billy Higgins und Ed Blackwell beschäftigt…

http://dothemath.typepad.com/dtm/interview-with-albert-tootie-heath.html

Now, one of the reasons I loved Don Cherry so much is that he knew how to play conventionally, but he chose not to. He found his own voice. Him and Ornette Coleman together, with Charlie Haden and either Blackwell and Higgins, that was my favorite music. Don and I lived in Stockholm together for some years, too.

…But after awhile…Billy Higgins was the one who helped me begin to understand that: “Hey, man, these guys are actually playing together. I don’t know what it is, but they’re together.” I loved it. Ornette didn’t count off anything, didn’t tell anybody any changes, he would just do it like this: “Boom!” They’d start, and be in the song, together. I was amazed by Ornette. – Albert „Tootie“ Heath

Die „Smilin‘ Billy Suite“ auf dem Album „Marchin On“ ist Billy Higgins gewidmet, um das Bild komplett zu machen – Q-Tip hat daraus für „One Love“ (vom Nas Album „Illmatic“) gesamplet.

--