Re: Sonny Stitt

#8137019  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Ich hab das vermischt, das eine Zitat kommt von Kenny Dennis und ich hab’s weiter oben schon gepostet:

„Stitt really tester your mettle,“ said Dennis. „You either could play with him or you couldn’t. Those days, as we toured around the country – this band was together at least a year – he would invite people to sit in. He’d call something simple, like a blues, then run it through the 12 keys [Stitt was renowned for being able to play any tune in any key]. He’d test everybody. It was really a challenge to play with him on any instrument at any level, period.
„In the studio, he wanted perfection but he was very supportive, protective about having his band, his rhythm section. He wasn’t going to take any guff, but I think Teddy Reig probably wanted New York „killers“ and not players he didn’t know.“

~ Zan Stewart (July 2001), Liner Notes zu „The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions“, Mosaic MD9-208, 2001, S. 10.

Jenes von Persip:

Persip, in a recent interview, recalled recording and performing with Stitt. „Sonny liked me,“ he said. „We were friends on the job, though off the bandstand, I had absolutely no relationship with him. In the studio, he was beautiful, very nice but very serious. I was like the new kid on the block. I had just finished five years with Dizzy and my star really rose in the recording arena. I wasn’t first call but I started doing a lot of record dates. [By this time, Persip had also made Blue Note albums with Hank Mobley, Lee Morgan and Curtis Fuller.] Sonny helped me, relaxed me.“

~ Zan Stewart (July 2001), Liner Notes zu „The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions“, Mosaic MD9-208, 2001, S. 13.

Dann noch, was Stewart zu „O Sole Mio“ schreibt:

O Sole Mio became a #1 hit for Elvis Presley two years before when he recorded it as It’s Now Or Never, with different lyrics. Reig often tried to challenge Stitt with unlikely material. This may be just such a challenge, but the tenorman plays it with emotion, and once more a first-rate performance results with a surprising vehicle. […]

~ Zan Stewart (July 2001), Liner Notes zu „The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions“, Mosaic MD9-208, 2001, S. 19.

Wenn ich in den Notes zu den Muse-Alben mit Harris was weiteres finde (ich hab aber einige Alben in einem Camden/UK-Billig-2CD-Set ohne originale Notes), dann berichte ich wieder… in den Argo-Notes steht gewöhnlich nichts von Belang, das trifft auch auf das Album mit Harris zu.

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba