Re: Das Vibraphon im Jazz

#7863575  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Habe grad erfahren, dass Bobby Hutcherson anscheinend seit längerem krank ist. Das wird auch hier erwähnt, in einem Artikel über einen Auftritt von vor ein paar Tagen:

Granted, he isn’t the force he once was. His battle with emphysema, which requires him to be hooked up to oxygen while onstage, has dampened his energy level, limiting both his hand speed and the length of his solos. But even at far less than 100 percent, Hutcherson puts most other vibraphonists to shame. He’s still possesses impeccable timing and a sense of „touch“ that most can only dream about.
[…]
„When I was a young whippersnapper, I didn’t think I would make it to 40,“ he said. „I’m going to slow down (playing music), so I can get my health together.“

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba