Re: Jazz-Glossen

#7660339  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

With jazz, the ones who could have been good become very conventional. I heard the man who was playing—what was his name? He died. He was a god of music in that field. He played a kind of saxophone—Charlie Parker. At that time he lived in New York. He followed me on the street, and he said he wanted to be with us. The day I left I said, „We’ll get together. I’ll take you for my pupil.“ Then I had to catch my boat. It’s when I went to Europe for Déserts. And Charlie Parker died in ’55, in March. Oh, he was so nice, and so modest, and he had such a tone. You could not know if it was an angelic double bass, a saxophone, or a bass clarinet. Then one day I was in that big hall there on 14th Street, the Cooper Union. Somebody said, „I want to meet you.“ She was the widow of Charlie Parker. She said, „He was always talking about you, so I know all about you.“ And that man was a great star. He wanted to study music and thought I had something for him.

http://www.therestisnoise.com/2010/07/varèse-does-jazz.html

Mehr dazu hier (Teo Macero, Art Farmer, Mingus, Frank Rehak, Hall Overton… klingt faszinierend!)

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba