Re: Das Schlagzeug im Jazz

#2699005  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Und leider vermeldet Iverson auch schon den nächsten Abgang: [B]Ralph Penland (1953-2014)

Ein Drummer, der nie sehr bekannt wurde, aber eine beeindruckende Liste von Credits angesammelt hat.

VALLEY WEEKEND: SOUNDS: Penland Plays to the Beat of His Own Drum: Leader of the Penland Polygon brings a multifaceted approach to jazz to Sherman Oaks.
November 23, 1995|ZAN STEWART | SPECIAL TO THE TIMES

Ralph Penland’s life in music has been the stuff of dreams. Just look at some of the masters the drummer’s worked with: Frank Sinatra, Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Hancock, Nancy Wilson, Stan Getz, Hubert Laws, Dianne Reeves and Carlos Santana.

Ask Penland to pick a favorite and he courteously declines. But he will admit that three of his best jobs were appearing in the trio of piano giant Hancock in 1993-94, and tours in 1991 with Latin-rock-blues guitarist Santana and the one and only Sinatra.

Class acts all, but musically about as disparate as a Ferrari and a thoroughbred racehorse. That diversity is a major reason why Penland enjoyed those „situations come true.“ He brings a similar breadth to his band, the Penland Polygon.

„I like dealing with many different sides of music,“ said Penland, who leads the Polygon on Friday and Saturday at Bjlauzezs in Sherman Oaks. „The bulk of my music is acoustic, straight-ahead jazz, but I also like fusion, funk, calypso. I’m always trying to expand.“

[…]

Penland, who has lived in the Los Angeles area since 1975, grew up in Cincinnati in a music scene that established the groundwork for all he does today. „I played jazz, funk, I was in the Cincinnati Symphony, I played in marching bands,“ he said. „It was an enriching experience.“

In the early ’70s, Penland moved to Boston, traveling often to New York City, where he joined Hubbard for an „extraordinary“ two years.

Music has shaped Penland’s life, he said. „I’ve had a chance to travel around the world several times, see the universal healing effect of music,“ he said. „Music doesn’t argue. It’s not violent. It’s beautiful.“

[…]

Quelle:
http://articles.latimes.com/1995-11-23/entertainment/ca-6490_1_penland-polygon

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba