Re: Das Schlagzeug im Jazz

#2698985  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Der vielleicht wichtigste aller Orgel-Drummer ist gestorben, Donald „Duck“ Bailey. Ethan Iverson hat – mal wieder – einen tollen Text geschrieben, in dem er auch etwas ausholt und interessante Beobachtungen zum Orgel-Trio im Allgemeinen macht:

Donald „Duck“ Bailey was authentic Philadelphia Afro-American mystery. He styled everything: his home-painted clothes, his unusually angled drum set, and, of course, his inimitable beats.

The organ trio was great for drummers wanting to let loose. With an acoustic piano you had to keep it down, but all that voltage coming out of the Hammond B3 meant you could leave your brushes at home. Indeed, it is arguable that much wonderful rock and fusion comes straight from the classic organ trios of Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff, Don Patterson, Baby Face Willette, John Patton, and others. It’s interesting that Tony Williams got an organ trio with Larry Young and John McLaughlin for his innovative Lifetime group; also, John Bonham played a lot of „organ trio + vocal“ onstage with Led Zeppelin.

I don’t know if Donald Bailey was the first person to put the hi-hat (with foot) on the skip beat or not, but I’m pretty sure he was the first to highlight it. A good place to hear it is on Jimmy Smith’s „Back At the Chicken Shack.“ This Bailey version of a shuffle beat has the skip hi-hat, a snare smack on two, and „uh huh“ on tom-tom in mid-bar.

What Bailey had that was really different was the strangeness and the willingness to take a chance. He delievered a dissonant counterpoint that could immedieately re-contextualize any given situation. It was — forgive me, Mr. Bailey, if I’m way off base here — redolent of sacrifice, of facing down fear, of unnameable ritual.

http://dothemath.typepad.com/dtm/2013/10/donald-bailey.html

„Back at the Chicken Shack“ ist genau die Platte, auf der ich Bailey zum ersten Mal gehört habe, vor bald zwanzig Jahren wohl … und immer noch eine meiner fünf liebsten Orgeljazz-Aufnahmen!

Die oben abgebildete CD erschien erst vor wenigen Jahren, ich hatte hier irgendwo etwas dazu geschrieben (glaube ich, kann aber nichts finden, nur eine Erwähnung, in der ich schrieb, ich hätte schon etwas dazu geschrieben) … eine andere Bailey-CD, die ich sehr gerne mag, ist diese hier, für einmal ein Klaviertrio – mit dem unverwechselbaren Jimmy Rowles am Klavier und Red Mitchell am Bass:

Die Aufnahmen mit Hampton Hawes muss ich wohl unbedingt mal hören!

Hier gibt’s noch immer einen Artikel von 2009 über Bailey:
http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Ill-health-doesn-t-beat-drummer-Donald-Bailey-3210692.php

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba