Capitol Boxes Up Early Beatles Albums

Startseite Foren Die Tonträger: Aktuell und Antiquariat Aktuelle Platten Capitol Boxes Up Early Beatles Albums

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 32)
  • Autor

dock

Capitol Boxes Up Early Beatles Albums

The Beatles' first four U.S. albums — „Meet the Beatles,“ „The Beatles Second Album,“ „Something New“ and „Beatles '65“ — will be bundled together in the boxed set „The Capitol Albums Volume 1,“ due Nov. 16. All were originally released in 1964 as Beatlemania swept the United States.

„In the '60s, American record labels often chose to reformat British records to suit the needs of the U.S. market,“ says Capitol president Andy Slater. „In America, singles were generally included on current albums, where in the U.K. albums and singles were most often separate releases. Higher music publishing costs in the U.S. also made it impractical to include as many songs on American albums. In addition, in the case of the Beatles, some of the recordings on the American albums were given more echo than the British versions, to 'Americanize' their sound.“ :ph34r: :ph34r:

--

Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
    Werbung
    #2428391  | PERMALINK

beatlebum

Das wird zwar bestimmt eine kapitable Box in den U.S.A, in der Überschrift muß es wohl trotzdem Capitol heissen.

--

Captain Beefheart to audience: Is everyone feeling all right? Audience: Yeahhhhh!!! awright...!!! Captain Beefheart: That's not a soulful question, that's a medical question. It's too hot in here.
    #2428393  | PERMALINK

hank-williams

So, Ihr Sparfüchse da draußen, aufgepaßt: Wer sein sauer verdientes Geld lieber sparen möchte, aber nicht auf die Capitol-Scheiben verzichten will, kann sich die US-Alben (damals zügig im Dreimonatstakt auf den Markt gehauen) ja von den UK-Originalen aus – vorausgesetzt, er besitzt sie (aber wer tut das nicht???) – selbst kostengünstig zusammenbrennen (und wer unbedingt Echo dabei braucht, kann sich's ja noch mit Feurio! oder so dazumischen meinetwegen). Hier jedenfalls die Tracklistings der vier „Original“-Alben:

MEET THE BEATLES (erstmals erschienen am 20.1.1964)
    A-Seite:
    I Want To Hold Your Hand
    I Saw Her Standing There
    This Boy
    It Won't Be Long
    All I've Got To Do
    All My Loving

B-Seite:
    Don't Bother Me
    Little Child
    Till There Was You
    Hold Me Tight
    I Wanna Be Your Man
    Not A Second Time

THE BEATLES' SECOND ALBUM (erstmals erschienen am 10.4.1964)
    A-Seite:
    Roll Over Beethoven
    Thank You Girl
    You Really Got A Hold On Me
    Devil In Her Heart
    Money (That's What I Want)
    You Can't Do That

B-Seite:
    Long Tall Sally
    I Call Your Name
    Please Mr. Postman
    I'll Get You
    She Loves You

SOMETHING NEW (erstmals erschienen am 20.7.1964)
    A-Seite:
    I'll Cry Instead
    Things We Said Today
    Anytime At All
    When I Get Home
    Slow Down
    Matchbox

B-Seite:
    Tell Me Why
    And I Love Her
    I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
    If I Fell
    Komm, gib mir deine Hand (sic!)

BEATLES '65 (erstmals erschienen am 15.12.1964)
    A-Seite:
    No Reply
    I'm A Loser
    Baby's In Black
    Rock And Roll Music
    I'll Follow The Sun
    Mr. Moonlight

B-Seite:
    Honey Don't
    I'll Be Back
    She's A Woman
    I Feel Fine
    Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby

--

„Kreuzberg ist so hart, dass sogar die Steine sagen: Wir sind zu weich für die Strasse. So hart ist Kreuzberg.“ (Catee)
    #2428395  | PERMALINK

beatlebum

Ab heute erhältlich, wohl aber eher für den US-Markt gedacht und interessant. Hier eine ausführliche, kritische Besprechung von Stephen Thomas Erlewine (AMG):

When the Beatles' albums were reissued on CD in 1987, the group seized the opportunity to standardize their catalog internationally, choosing to release the British version of their LPs on CD in every territory throughout the world. From their standpoint, it made sense creatively, since these were the albums they intended to make, and it also made sense from a consumer standpoint, since these British LPs were longer than their foreign counterparts, particularly the American LPs released between 1964 and 1965. While the reasoning behind the move was sound, it was controversial in America, since the vast majority of their audience there not only grew up on the US versions, they may not have even been aware that there were great differences in how the music was issued in both the US and UK up until Sgt. Pepper in 1967. To make matters even more compilcated, the first four albums — 1963's Please Please Me through 1964's Beatles for Sale — were released in mono on CD, which was like pouring salt into the wounds for American fans: not only could they not get the versions they grew up with, they didn't even sound the same. The Beatles were hardly the only British rock & roll band to have their LPs released in different incarnations in the US. During the height of the British Invasion in the mid-'60s, it was standard practice for US record labels to shuffle songs between records, either to help promote singles or squeeze out as much product as they could out of a limited number of songs, and since LPs were released in both mono and stereo mixes, there several different variations on the basic album on the marketplace. This was done without the artist's consent, and the Beatles protested the issue with the notorious „butcher“ cover of the US album Yesterday and Today, where the Fab Four dressed up in butchers coats surrounded by decapitated baby dolls and raw meat — not a subtle criticism, but not an inaccurate one, either. After Sgt. Pepper ushered in the album-rock era, this practice faded away. Years later, in the thick of the CD reissue boom, there was heavy nostalgia among record collectors for these American and British and stereo and mono variants, which led to '90s reissues of classic '60s rock albums containing both the stereo and mono mixes, or individual reissues of the US and UK versions of particular albums. The Rolling Stones, Kinks, Animals and many other peers of the Beatles were given reissues of these variants, but not the Beatles themselves, even though these among the most-requested reissues and were among the most interesting of these variations. Interesting is a word that cuts both ways — they were interesting because they were popular, the records that brought Beatlemania to America, but interesting because they were wrong-headed, sometimes in their sequencing, but often in their mixes. Under the supervision of Capitol executive Dave Dexter — who initially rejected the Beatles for Capitol — the original mixes were given ludicrous layers of echoes on the stereo versions that changed the feel of the albums. To those legions of American fans, it didn't matter that these American versions didn't sound as good, weren't approved by the band and offered less value for the money, or that they could assemble the albums on CD-Rs or iPods. These were the versions that they grew up with, and they wanted them on CD, so they bought bootlegs of these albums at exorbitant prices. The heart wants what the heart wants, apparently. After years of being stuck at this impasse, Capitol suddenly announced in the fall of 2004 that the first four American albums — Meet the Beatles, Second Album, Something New, Beatles 65 — would be released as a box set for the holiday season, containing stereo and mono mixes of each album. Fans in the US celebrated, although there still was lingering controversy among some fans about whether they should be even be reissued or not, since they were not what the band wanted. This ignored a couple of facts — there was a market out there for these, one primed by reissues of other band's albums and one that had to turn to bootleggers because they weren't getting what they wanted. Secondly, these are historical artificats that deserve to be officially released on CD — if the Stones' hodgepodge Flowers is on CD, Meet the Beatles should be out as well. Third, the Beatles' catalog is in desperate need of remastering, so any new versions are welcome. That final point is the sticking issue for most hardcore fans, particularly outside of the US: why remaster the bastardizations while leaving the originals in print with subpar sound? It's a fair criticism, and hopefully it's one that will be addressed soon, since every one of the Beatles' albums needs new remastering, something that's all the more evident after hearing this box set. Sonically, this set is brighter, fuller than the '87 issues. Thing is, these aren't necessarily the mixes that you'd want to have remastered. While the mono mixes are more or less the same (only the hardcore will hear the differences), many of the stereo mixes are either fake mixes or are balanced so awkwardly they might as well be phony. Most egregiously, the stereo Second Album is drowning in echo; it sounds as if it was mastered inside a cavernous tank. However, Something New and Beatles 65 have mixes that are close to true stereo, even if they still can sound heavy and off-balance. While the sound of the mixes on the American LPs simply isn't as good as the mixes on the British LPs, it has to be said that there's something admirable in preserving the original US records on CD — after all, nostalgia is the primary reason for this release, so why not go the whole hog and put out the albums in the same cruddy versions as they originally appeared? It not only satisfies baby boomers longing for the initial rush of Beatlemania, it's instructive for all the Beatles fans that came later, since it is definitive proof that, yes, these records did sound worse, even if the sequencing on the individual albums did have some worth (Meet the Beatles is an excellent summary of their first two records, Second Album is a terrific all-out rock & roll album, Beatles 65 is Beatles for Sale with the considerable benefit of the „I Feel Fine“/“She's a Woman“ single; only Something New sounds incoherent). Having these albums out on CD doesn't diminish the Beatles' catalog and in fact helps fill out a crucial part of their story. It's good to have the American LPs on CD — and if the title of Capitol Albums, Vol. 1 is to be believed, the rest will follow in the near future — but it's hard not to wish that the packaging was a little classier. The box set is smaller than a book-sized box and it holds a small cardboard box creased in the middle that's the size of a CD when folded in two, but it always pops open and there's no writing on the spine of the box or on the mini-LP jackets for the four individual CDs, so it can't be put on the shelf (and, frankly, if it was on the shelf, there's nowhere to put the box). Then, the booklet is designed like a coffeetable book, with the obligatory essay from Beatles expert/scholar Mark Lewisohn that's not only way too brief, but it never mentions the considerable controversy over Dave Dexter's mixes.Ultimately, this is all nit-picking, since what counts is that the American LPs are out on CD in accurate mixes, sounding better than they ever did. Which leaves us with a final crucial point: if these LPs have been given remasters but the corresponding British albums have not, why not release remasters of the UK LPs at the same time?

AMG

--

Captain Beefheart to audience: Is everyone feeling all right? Audience: Yeahhhhh!!! awright...!!! Captain Beefheart: That's not a soulful question, that's a medical question. It's too hot in here.
    #2428397  | PERMALINK

beatlebum

After a long, long wait (nearly a decade!), the Beatles' first four American LPs — Meet the Beatles!, Second Album, Something New, Beatles '65 — finally make their CD debut, as part of the four-disc box set The Capitol Albums, Vol. 1. Each record is presented in both mono and stereo versions that replicate the sound of the original LPs — which means Second Album, for instance, is awash in overdubbed echo not heard on the British mixes. These mixes are given new remasters that are sonically superior to those on the original 1987 CDs. For baby boomers and Beatles fanatics, this set is well worth the wait.

AMG New Release Newsletter – 11.16.04

--

#2428399  | PERMALINK

beatlebum

Das Label über die CD
    Andere Zeiten, andere Veröffentlichungspolitik: Es war in den 60ern durchaus üblich, dass die Labels in verschiedenen Ländern mit eigenen LP-Editionen aufwarteten. Capitol, Anfang 1964 zur BEATLES-Plattenfirma für Nordamerika avanciert, gab in den folgenden 12 Monaten (neben ´A Hard Day's Night´ – identisch mit der UK-Ausgabe) insgesamt 4 Alben heraus, die sich mehr oder weniger stark von den englischen Fassungen unterschieden (und übrigens, wichtig: Sie wurden auch hierzulande vertrieben von der damaligen Electrola!). Seit der globalen Vereinheitlichung des BEATLES-Kataloges Anfang der 90er Jahre sind diese Alben als LP's (und MC´s) komplett vom Markt verschwunden und nur noch Spekulationsobjekt der Plattensammler und -händler. Auf CD hat es sie offiziell noch nie gegeben!
    Voilà, das ändert sich fortan mit ´The Capitol Albums Volume 1´, einem Box Set im Hochformat mit 48-seitigem Booklet (Text vom BEATLES-Fachmann Mark Lewisohn, plus Unmengen an Fotos und Memorabilia) und den besagten 4 Alben ´Meet The Beatles´, ´Second Album´, ´Something New´ und ´Beatles ´65´ in Mini-Sleeves-Versionen der originalen Album-Cover. Der Clou: Die remasterten Tracks sind komplett zwei Mal drauf, zum einen in der Mono-Fassung, zum anderen im gesuchten Stereo bzw. in einigen Fällen im Duophonic Sound (eine damals für kurze Zeit durchaus übliche Praxis der elektronischen Nachbearbeitung von Aufnahmen zwecks Erzeugung des Stereo-Effektes).

Long-Box mit Slipcase, CDs in Mini-Sleeves (Pouchette-Covers), 48-seitiges Booklet

amazon.de

Kostet bei amazon, karstadt und saturn jeweils 49,99 €. Wer also noch kein Weihnachtsgeschenk für mich hat. :rolleyes:

--

#2428401  | PERMALINK

dominick-birdsey
    Birdcore

Weiteres Wissenswertes gibts bei Pitchfork und 6.0/10 Punkte obendrein.

--

#2428403  | PERMALINK

otis

Capitol, Anfang 1964 zur BEATLES-Plattenfirma für Nordamerika avanciert, gab in den folgenden 12 Monaten (neben ´A Hard Day's Night´ – identisch mit der UK-Ausgabe) insgesamt 4 Alben heraus, die sich mehr oder weniger stark von den englischen Fassungen unterschieden (und übrigens, wichtig: Sie wurden auch hierzulande vertrieben von der damaligen Electrola!).

Lese das gerade. Beatlebum, hat es in Deutschland wirklich die US-Fassungen gegeben? Als was? wo waren die Unterschiede?

--

FAVOURITES
    #2428405  | PERMALINK

beatlebum

Originally posted by otis@23 Nov 2004, 10:39

Lese das gerade. Beatlebum, hat es in Deutschland wirklich die US-Fassungen gegeben? Als was? wo waren die Unterschiede?

Wenn Du mal oben schaust, da hat Hank Williams die einzelnen Alben samt der Titel „gelistet“. ;)

Die Something New war z.b. eines meiner ersten Beatles Alben. Gekauft 1975 für 19,50 DM bei Karstadt. Dann habe ich aber den rechten Weg zu den Originalversionen gefunden.

Das erste US Album war laut AMG übrigens Introducing…The Beatles auf Vee-Jay.

The first Beatles album released in the U.S., Introducing…The Beatles is a slightly abridged version of Please Please Me, which had been released in the U.K. four months earlier. It includes two fewer tracks than its British counterpart, deleting „Please Please Me“ and „Ask Me Why.“ Today, of course, there's no reason to prefer it to Please Please Me, which was released in the U.S. in 1987, but from 1963 to 1965, when Capitol Records belatedly released the material on The Early Beatles, this (plus some inferior Vee Jay repackagings) was the only American album containing some of the Beatles' initial recordings.

1   I Saw Her Standing There  Lennon, McCartney    
     2   Misery  Lennon, McCartney    
     3   Anna (Go to Him)  Alexander    
     4   Chains  Goffin, King    
     5   Boys  Dixon, Farrell    
     6   Love Me Do  Lennon, McCartney    
     7   P.S. I Love You  Lennon, McCartney    
     8   Baby It's You  Bacharach, David, Williams    
     9   Do You Want to Know a Secret  Lennon, McCartney    
    10  A Taste of Honey  Marlow, Scott    
    11  There's a Place  Lennon, McCartney    
    12  Twist and Shout  Medley, Russell

AMG

Das dürfte wohl ein begehrtes Sammlerstück sein.

--

#2428407  | PERMALINK

beatlebum

Originally posted by Dominick Birdsey@23 Nov 2004, 09:39
    Weiteres Wissenswertes gibts bei Pitchfork und 6.0/10 Punkte obendrein.

Gute, teilweise humorvolle Beschreibung. Die offiziellen CD-Veröffentlichungen der frühen Beatles Alben klingen aber bisher trotzdem mau.

--

#2428409  | PERMALINK

dominick-birdsey
    Birdcore

Originally posted by beatlebum@23 Nov 2004, 12:21
    Die offiziellen CD-Veröffentlichungen der frühen Beatles Alben klingen aber bisher trotzdem mau.

Ja, da stimme ich dir völlig zu. Da sind Remasters dringend vonnöten. Oder eben Vinyl. (Ach, JJ, kannst du mal den kapitalen Schnitzer in der Threadüberschrift tilgen?)

--

#2428411  | PERMALINK

Anonym
    Inaktiv

Ist mir immer noch nicht klar: Lohnt die Anschaffung?

--

#2428413  | PERMALINK

beatlebum

Originally posted by songbird@23 Nov 2004, 21:31
    Ist mir immer noch nicht klar: Lohnt die Anschaffung?

Die Frage ob sich die Anschaffung für Dich lohnt, müsste doch anhand der hier auch gerade ausführlich verlinkten Informationen lösbar sein, allerdings wohl von Dir. ;) Bzw. was ist Dir speziell noch nicht klar?

--

#2428415  | PERMALINK

Anonym
    Inaktiv

Originally posted by beatlebum@23 Nov 2004, 23:43
    Die Frage ob sich die Anschaffung für Dich lohnt, müsste doch anhand der hier auch gerade ausführlich verlinkten Informationen lösbar sein, allerdings wohl von Dir. ;) Bzw. was ist Dir speziell noch nicht klar?

Beatle, vielleicht stehe ich doch auf dem Schlauch.
    Frage für mich ist: Sind die Aufnahmen – die Songs habe ich natürlich – klanglich überarbeitet, dass sich der Kauf lohnt? Was hat das booklet zu bieten?

Mit anderen Worten: ich brauche Gründe, um meinen Geldbeutel zu leeren und mein diesbezüglich schlechtes Gewissen zu entlasten

--

#2428417  | PERMALINK

beatlebum

Originally posted by songbird@25 Nov 2004, 21:57
    Beatle, vielleicht stehe ich doch auf dem Schlauch.
    Frage für mich ist: Sind die Aufnahmen – die Songs habe ich natürlich – klanglich überarbeitet, dass sich der Kauf lohnt? Was hat das booklet zu bieten?

Mit anderen Worten: ich brauche Gründe, um meinen Geldbeutel zu leeren und mein diesbezüglich schlechtes Gewissen zu entlasten

erichmeier ist zumindest begeistert ;) :

Freude herrscht!, 19. November 2004
    Rezensentin/Rezensent: erichmeier (Mehr über mich) aus Adliswil Schweiz
    1964 – das Jahr in dem die Beatles nicht weniger als 4 LP's in den USA veröffentlichten, das Jahr, in dem die Beatles gleichzeitig die Plätze 1 bis 5 der US Single-Hitparade belegten…
    Nun hat sich Capitol Records endlich dazu entschlossen, auch die US-LP's der Beatles auf CD zu veröffentlichen. Man hat die original US-Mastertapes hervorgenommen und sie remastered – das Resultat ist sagenhaft – so gut haben die Beatles noch nie geklungen! Jede der 4 CD's enthält die Original-LP in Stereo und Mono.
    Das Box-Set ist sehr schön gemacht, enthält die ersten 4 US-LP's, die CD's befinden sich in Kartonschubern (Replica), die den Original LP-Hüllen entsprechen. Dazu gibt es noch ein umfangreiches Booklet mit Infos zum „Einstieg“ der Beatles im US-Markt und vielen Fotos.
    Über die Musik selbst muss man sicherlich nichts mehr schreiben – schlicht und einfach sensationell!
    Ich kann nur sagen: Kauft Euch dieses Box-Set und freut euch mit mir zusammen auf das „Capitol Albums Vol. 2, 3, 4“ etc. – und vielleicht auch bald mal dasselbe mit den Europa-Alben?!

amazon.de

--

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 32)

Schlagwörter: ,

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.