Antwort auf: Enja Records

#12312995  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

@redbeans – good catch! Ich hab tatsächlich in die Richtung gedacht (Webster, Carter … auch Bechet … aber auf Hawkins kam ich nicht). Das erste, was ich auf die Schnelle finde, ist eine Session noch aus den USA, 8. März 1934 mit Buck Washington. Evensmo nahm mal wieder kein Blatt vor den Mund, relativierte aber später etwas:

In the first edition of the Solography I wrote: „This is a really catastrophic session.
The whole idea in itself is to me rather risky, with a lonely piano accompaniment it
is difficult to achieve a rhythmic tension. Accordingly, Hawkins swings less than he
has done both earlier and later, and his futile attempts at filling the musical
emptiness only makes it worse. „… Nobody“, the fastest side, is completely
nonsense. The slower ones are somewhat better, but full of bad taste, and the music
is almost a parody. The only point of merit is the first solo in „It Sends …“, where
he presents the theme and takes it easy with some pleasant results, but to make it
up, the last part is really bad“. I have been seriously criticized for this comment.
Somebody even said that I clearly could not stand Coleman Hawkins‘ music as a
whole! As if I then would have used evening upon evening playing his records.
Well, maybe I was too condescending, but I still do not like the session, whether I
compare it to the neighbouring ones or not. And the idea of a lonely piano
accompaniment is risky. That Armstrong and Hines made it in a magnificent way is
no counterproof, is it? Postscript of 2012: It is highly interesting and rather
embarrassing to read these old-time evaluations. Obviously I was, as a young man,
hung up with a certain opinion of how Hawk was supposed to sound, and a duo
format was simply not emotionally acceptable at the time. Listening to the session
again now, with alternate takes, it shows how advanced CH was in his music, and
how creative and courageous he was. More than any other jazz musician he took on
new challenges, playing with anybody regardless of style. This duo session is
simply the first example of this attitude. Read also Loren Schoenberg’s informative
liner notes on this session!

Quelle: https://www.jazzarcheology.com/artists/coleman_hawkins_part_1.pdf

Eine komplette sessionbasierte Diskographie gibt es inzwischen auch:
https://coleman-hawkins-discography.com/coleman-hawkins-discography/

Die Duo-Alben von Ibrahim hätten wohl alle zu Enja gepasst, auch die mit Buddy Tate und Gato Barbieri … irgendwie war ja Enja weniger am Schaffen eines eigenen „rosters“ gelegen, anders als den geliebten Jazz-Labeln der Fünfziger, die immer wieder ähnliche Leute einsetzten, dem Sideman bald einen Leader-Gig verschafften usw. Es gibt schon Leute, die länger und in unterschiedlichen Rahmen präsent waren (Pierre Favre in den ersten Jahren, später kommt mir da als erstes George Mraz in den Sinn, aber auch etwas weniger prominente wie Makaya Ntshoko … und Tommy Flanagan wurde ja auch mal mit anderen Leuten kombiniert, mit Bennie Wallace etwa oder mit Phil Woods/Red Mitchell, die auch kein Mensch bei Enja erwarten würde). Aber das Kopfkino geht doch manchmal in interessante Richtungen, z.B. beim Gedanken, dass Barbieri (und dann vielleicht auch Don Cherry – Karl Berger war ja schon da) auch mal was für Enja gemacht hätte … bzw. Weber und Winckelmann für ihn eine tolle Band zusammengestellt hätten, Mangelsdorff oder Berger und dazu Warren/Favre vielleicht? Das – dieses Netze schaffen – scheint irgendwie im Enja-Katalog eine etwas vertane Chance. Aber angesichts der Güte des Outputs möchte ich da wirklich nicht jammern. Der Gedanke ging mir aber in den letzten Wochen tatsächlich mehrmals durch den Kopf.

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #156 – Benny Golson (1929–2024) – 29.10.2024 – 22:00 / #157 – 12.11.2024 – 22:00 / #158 – 19.12.2024 – 20:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba