Antwort auf: Jazz-Fotos

#11650617  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Erinnert mich dran, dass ich gestern noch das hier teilen wollte:

Chick Corea, Stan Getz, Nancy Reagan und Dizzy Gillespie bei einer Probe zum Konzert vom 4. Dezember 1982 im Weissen Haus. Reagan kam nicht rechtzeitig aus Lateinamerika heim (musste er schon den Grundstein für die Iran-Contra-Affäre legen?)

Hier steht mehr dazu:
https://www.nytimes.com/1982/12/05/us/jazz-comes-to-the-white-house-for-pbs.html

What would Mr. Gillespie play? “Oh, Dizzy will play something.“ What would Mr. Corea play? “Oh, Chick will play something, too.“ What would Mr. Getz play? “Oh, yes, I’ll play something.“ What they did play on this Saturday afternoon in the East Room was taped and will be broadcast on most PBS television stations Wednesday Dec. 22.

As in the previous programs in the White House series, which is now in its second year, the established musicians introduced young proteges in the hope that the appearance would give impetus to their careers.

Mr. Gillespie presented Jon Faddis, a young trumpet player, and Mr. Getz chose Diane Schuur, a singer who has performed mostly in the Southwest and on the West Coast.

Mr. Getz said that Miss Schuur, who is 26 years old, was something special. “I heard her at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 1979,“ Mr. Getz said. “She sang in front of 7,000 people and knocked them dead. So when they asked me about a new star, I thought of her.“ First Lady Appeared Moved

Miss Schuur, who is blind, lived up to Mr. Getz’s expectations and sang, with rich color and wide range, “Life Goes On“ and “Love Conquers All.“ She was apparently the favorite of the invited audience of about 200 people and was embraced warmly and kissed by Mrs. Reagan, who appeared deeply moved.

Von der Aufzeichnung – gemäss dem Artikel dauerte das Konzert 1:25 Stunden – wurde ein stündiger Mitschnitt auf PBS ausgestrahlt, einiges daraus ist in der Tube zu finden.

Ein Corea/Vitous/Haynes „Trio Music“-Medley:

Dann wird die Gruppe mit Stan Getz und Dizzy Gillespie für „Groovin‘ High“ zum Quintett:

Diane Schuur mit ihrem eigenen „Life Goes On“:

Und der Schluss-Jam über „Summertime“:

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba