Antwort auf: Cecil Taylor

#10446655  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Richard Williams
I remember two things from later in the evening. The first followed my remark that such performances must be physically draining. No, Cecil said. “You don’t notice it. Let’s go and find a discothèque — it’s good for the feet.” The second, not unrelated, came when I accompanied him to his room at the Strand Palace Hotel for a short interview. On a table was a small record player, with a Stevie Wonder album on the deck. I was surprised — maybe I’d been expecting Bartók. “Stevie Wonder is tremendous — he reminds me of a preacher,” he said. “The arrangements have the excitement of Dizzy’s old band.” He meant Dizzy Gillespie’s incendiary big band of 1947; it was a strikingly unexpected comparison.

aus dem lesenswerten Nachruf von Richard Williams

Danke auch @vorgarten für die guten Zeilen!

Stephan Hentz hat für die NZZ auch schon im Verlauf des Tages einen Nachruf verfasst:
https://www.nzz.ch/feuilleton/musik-ist-freiheit-ohne-grenzen-ld.1374892

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba