Antwort auf: Funde aus dem Archiv (alte Aufnahmen, erstmals/neu veröffentlicht)

#11215989  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Nochmal Ella, nochmal Berlin, nochmal „Mack the Knife“ … ein Mitschnitt ihres Auftrittes von 1962 ist wie man hört im Nachlass von Norman Granz aufgetaucht (der lange Jahre nicht nur ihr Produzent sondern auch ihr Manager war).

ELLA FITZGERALD – The Lost Berlin Tapes
(Verve, CD/2LP/DL, 2. Oktober 2020)

(LP 1)
1. Cheek To Cheek 03:56
2. My Kind Of Boy 02:59
3. Cry Me A River 04:37
4. I Won’t Dance 02:59
5. Someone To Watch Over Me 04:13
6. Jersey Bounce 03:32
7. Angel Eyes 03:51
8. Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie! 03:43
9. Taking A Chance On Love 02:33
10. C’est Magnifique 03:51
(LP 2)
11. Good Morning Heartache 04:57
12. Hallelujah, I Love Him So 03:02
13. Hallelujah, I Love Him So 03:01
14. Summertime 03:00
15. Mr. Paganini 04:30
16. Mack The Knife 03:46
17. Wee Baby Blues 05:42

Ella Fitzgerald (voc), Paul Smith (p), Wilfred Middlebrooks (b), Stan Levey (d)

Ein Auszug einer Vorab-Rezension (das Beste steht am Schluss ;-) ):

As the title suggests, The Lost Berlin Tapes spent more than half a century in the vault — not only unreleased, but also unheard. The recordings, made in both stereo and mono, were found unopened in the private collection of Verve founder and producer Norman Granz, who also managed Fitzgerald.

“Norman had left Verve by the time this was recorded,” explains Ken Druker, who produced The Lost Berlin Tapes for release. “But Ella was still under contract to Verve. So he couldn’t have released it himself. It was something he knew he couldn’t do anything with, contractually.”

The 1962 concert, at Berlin Sportpalast, was also just one in a breathless myriad of tour dates at the time. “On this tour Ella was doing two shows on some days, in different cities,” Druker says. “I don’t even know how that’s possible, but she was doing a late afternoon show in one European city and a late show in another.”

Musically speaking, The Lost Berlin Tapes could hardly be characterized as just another night on tour. Fitzgerald is a firecracker, and her high spirits manifest in everything from her phrasing and lyrical interpretation to the arc of her trademark scat maneuvers.

[…]

Druker confirms that there’s more where this came from, which suggests that we’ll be seeing even more Ella in the pipeline. For now, The Lost Berlin Tapes is sufficient cause for celebration.

https://www.wbgo.org/post/have-first-taste-lost-berlin-tapes-which-casts-ella-fitzgerald-returning-hero

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba