Antwort auf: Delia Hardy’s 7"-Faves

#9958045  | PERMALINK

delia-hardy
Adlerauge

Echo & The Bunnymen – The Pictures On My Wall

Once I like crying
Twice I like laughter
Come on, tell me what I’m after

Echo & The Bunnymen, natürlich. I suppose if I am attracted to men then they usually have more feminine qualities.

…und wo, wenn nicht bei Ian McCulloch wird man unter dieser Prämisse fündig. Man betrachte nur seinen Auftritt als Belle d’Amsterdam im Video-Clip zu „Seven Seas“. Hach ja…

I’ve seen it in your eyes
I’ve read it in books
Who wants love
Without the looks?

Ist eine Einführung notwendig? Nun gut.

There’s not that much to us
I hide the little with the lot

Chef-Bunny McCulloch gibt sich in einem TV-Interview anno 1983 noch zurückhaltend:

„I used to say that we were a rock band, just because people wanted me to say that we weren’t a rock band. They wanted me to say that we were something more important, so I used to say we’re just a rock band.“

…nur um sich dann sukzessive zu voller Blüte aufzuschwingen.

“The Bunnymen are the most important band to ever put an album out. And the Beatles, maybe the Stones. I think we’re up there in the top ten greatest bands of all time.”

“How can you not sell the first three Bunnymen albums? It’s like, how can you not sell the Mona Lisa, Van Gogh’s ‘Sunflowers,’ and ‘The Garden of Earthly Delights’ by Hieronymus Bosch?”

„I see myself as Picasso or da Vinci, you know?“

Und eines man muss zugeben, dieses Luftschloss gründet sich zumindest auf einem mehr als soliden Fundament, dessen Grundsteinlegung dabei auf den März 1979 datiert.

Can you hear it?
The sound of
Something burning
Something changing
On the merry-go-round
Tonight

The pictures on my wall
Are about to swing and fall

…proklamiert der 19-jährige, einmütig unterstützt von Gitarrist Will Seargant und Bassist Les Pattinson und… natürlich dem namengebenden Drum-Computer Echo, auf der exzellenten Debüt-45 „The Pictures On My Wall“.

Moody, intense, broody, beschreibt Peter Zaremba als Moderator die Band eingangs zu jenem oben erwähnten TV-Interview, doch erkennt er, dass, wie so oft, auch hier Worte nicht die ganze Geschichte erzählen. Was also tun? Na, anhören natürlich. Die Single erwerben und an-hö-ren! Und vergesst nicht die flipside „Read It In Books“, vielleicht das einzige überlieferte Lebenszeichen jener Crucial Three, die ich schon im Review zu The Mighty Wah! Erwähnte. Power pop at its best!

~ * * * * *

--

…because life is full of important things.