Re: Deep Talk – Der Bass im Jazz

#7966295  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Inzwischen sind die Nachrufe da … und ich bin unendlich traurig, das ist wirklich ein harter Schlag. So hat mich noch kein Tod eines Jazzmusikers getroffen. Andererseits hat Haden so vieles hinterlassen, was mich seit meiner Teenagerzeit geprägt hat, er wird immer da sein, und sei es nur wegen des Intros zu „Una Muy Bonita“ oder den Doppelgriffen am Anfang von „Lonely Woman“. Auf Organissimo schrieb einer den schönen Satz, in einer Zeit, als andere Bassisisten versucht hätten, die neue Musik auf den Bass zu übertragen, habe Haden den umgekehrten Weg genommen und den Bass in diese Musik gebracht.

„My dad built this big farm house next to my grandparents‘ with a studio in the farm house,“ he told Jazz Times. „And when it came time for us to go on the air, my dad would crank this phone, they’d put us on the air and we’d start singing.“

In his mid-teens, Haden went with his father to Omaha for a Charlie Parker and Lester Young performance. He described the experience to Time magazine as a musical epiphany: „It was pretty much decided inside my soul that jazz was what I was going to do. It was like having the music born inside you.“

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-charlie-haden-20140712-story.html

The Liberation Music Orchestra, which released its debut album in 1969, was Mr. Haden’s large ensemble, and an expression of his left-leaning political ideals. The band, featuring compositions and arrangements by the pianist Carla Bley, mingled avant-garde wildness with the earnest immediacy of Latin American folk songs. Mr. Haden released each of the band’s four studio albums during Republican administrations; the most recent, in 2005, was “Not in Our Name,” a response to the war in Iraq.

Mr. Haden, who liked to say he was driven by concern for “the struggle of the poor people,” hardly restricted his opinions to the Liberation Music Orchestra. While playing a festival with Mr. Coleman in Lisbon, in 1971, he dedicated his “Song for Ché” to the black liberation movements of Mozambique and Angola, and was promptly jailed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/12/arts/music/charlie-haden-influential-jazz-bassist-is-dead-at-76.html?_r=0

A luta continua!

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba