Re: Shorty Rogers

#7749085  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Am 25. März 1954 stand Rogers im Studio mit dem Bud Shank Quintet und spielte mit ihm sein allererstes Album ein, das zweite in der Reihe Jazz in Hollywood von Nocturne Records. Die Rhythmusgruppe bestand aus Jimmy Rowles (p) sowie den beiden Gründern des Labels, Harry Babasin (b) und Roy Harte (d). Die 10″-LP war erst die zweite Veröffentlichung des Labels, William Claxton schoss das Cover-Photo. Auf dem JSP-Set ist davon nur das letzte von sechs Rogers-Originals, „Just a Few“, zu hören. Die ganze Session ist Teil der tollen Fresh Sound 3CD-Box „The Complete Nocturne Reocrdings – Volume One“ (1998 – leider ist nie eine zweite Box erschienen, der ersten war zu wenig Erfolg beschieden).

Shank erinnerte sich in einem Text für die Fresh Sound-Box:

Los Angeles was a very busy place in the early and mid-1950s. Many of us had left the Stan Kenton Band at the end of 1952. Enough „ROACH“. I think we all just wanted to sit still for a while. And Los Angeles looked like a very appealing place at that time. Zoot Sims was there – as was Gerry Mulligan, Chet Baker – and Paul Desmond and Brubeck were doing good things in San Francisco. By 1953 I was starting to make records with some of these people – as well as with Shorty Rogers, Shelly Manne and Laurindo Almeida – my friends from the Kenton band. Around the beginning of 1954, a bass player named Harry Babasin started a record company called NOCTURNE. Pacific Jazz (Richard Bock) and Contemporary (Lester Koenig) were already established as important record companies (maybe not successful yet – but important, anyway). Harry Babasin was responsible for the formation of the original Laurindo Almeida/Bud Shank Quartet. We had been friends since 1947. When he approached me about doing an album of my own, I probably yelled „Whoopee – when do we start?“ Harry came up with the ideas – the concept of the album and the casting – Jimmy Rowles, piano, Roy Harte, drums, Shorty playing flugelhorn and trumpet, and himself on bass.
So, on March 25, 1954, we went to a studio called „6000 SUNSET“ – which wasn’t even a recording studio – yet. It had been a Network Radio Studio (I forget which network). All of the theater-type seating for the audiences was still in place. As I remember, we set-up on stage with portable recording equipment brought in by John Neal, the recording engineer hired by Babasin. Incidentally this studio later became known as WESTERN STUDIOS – where I practically „lived“ in the 60s – making records with many people from „The Mamas & the Papas“ to Frank Sinatra.
The only „unusual“ thing that I remember about this recording is that I used an Alto („G“) flute on „Lotus Bud“, instead of the regular („C“) flute. I didn’t even own it. I rented it for the day for $5.00!!! I don’t know whether it was my idea or Shorty’s but it was an interesting sound that hadn’t been used before.
I’m very pleased to have the album available again in this Nocturne collection produced by Fresh Sound Records. It was my first Album. It was very important to me.

~ Bud Shank – May, 1990

Im ausführlichen Booklet ist dann auch der Down Beat Review (June 2, 1954) abgedruckt: volle fünf Sterne!

Nocturne’s second LP is a joy unto the ears. First of all, it demonstrates further how excitingly inventive an altoist Bud Shank has become. And in his well-cotrolled, full-toned flutework on Lotus Bud, Shank indicates that he and Frank Wess would seem to be the leading contenders for the jazz flute diadem. On the other end of the front line is Shorty Rogers, blowing with his usual skilled enthusiasm and newly disclosing an incisive mastery of the flugel horn. […]
The expressive gamut of this group is worth contrasting with the Mulligan and Baker units. There is no aura of fragile glasshouse here. […] Whether there is such an entity as „west coast jazz“ or not, this is fine work by any definition, geographical or just musical.

Die Besprechung ist nicht gezeichnet, auch nicht mit Initialen. Sie liegt aber sehr richtig, auch wenn ich der Scheibe – im Wissen um Shanks in den folgenden Jahren entstandene Pacific Jazz-Alben – nicht die volle Punktzahl geben würde.
Dennoch: Shanks Stimme auf dem Alt ist biegsam, warm, sicher – und am wichtigsten: seine eigene. Sein Spiel ist eindeutig vom Bop geprägt aber – wie damals auch Art Peppers – flüssiger, fliessender, weicher, weniger sprunghaft und auch von einer grösseren Wärme und Biegsamkeit.

Später erschien dieses Album auch bei World Pacific mit obigem Cover.

Auch Shorty Rogers hat sich für Jordi Pujol (der im Booklet übrigens auf einem kleien Foto neben Rogers zu sehen ist – dieses 3CD-Set ist eins der grossen Verdienste von Fresh Sound!) an die Aufnahmen erinnert:

I find it to be a great joy and a great privilege to have been asked to write the liner notes to this album. Bud and I have been friends and musical colleagues for over 41 years! (41 years, wow!) I think we first met and played together at some of the Monday night jam sessions at the Showtime Club in Los Angeles in the late 40’s. We also worked together on the legendary Stan Kenton Innovations Orchestra in 1950, and later we played together at the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach and on innumerable recording sessions, studio calls and concerts during the 50s, 60s and 80s.
Bud has always been a magnificent player but he is a player that never stops seeking improvement and never stops attaining improvement. He has an insatiable hunger and love for music that is so intense that it will not let him sit still, musically. At a point in his life when he was probably the busiest studio musician in Hollywood he voluntarily quit playing in the studios to resume his career as a full time jazz player, a „bebop gypsy“, as Bud himself puts it. The guy loves to play and I do not hesitate to declare that I think he is one of the most important, the most devoted and exciting jazz musicians of today.
This album was Bud’s debut as a bandleader. I had the joy of being invited to be part of the album as both player and composer. My most vivid memory of making the album is simply that we had fun. We ha a great rhythm section. Jimmy Rowles on piano, Roy Harte on drums, Harry Babasin on bass and Bud and me. To me the ultimate achievement in playing jazz is to have fun, and that’s what we did.
Bud has made many great albums since this one, but this is were it all started for Bud. People listening to the album are hearing an important part in the history of jazz! People holding the album are holding an important part of the history of jazz in their hands. I’m grateful to have been a part of it. God bless my friend, Bud Shank. God bless you all. Listen and have fun!

~ Shorty Rogers – February, 1990

Dann ist noch ein Brief abgedruckt (handgeschrieben), den Rogers nachschickte, in dem er schreibt, dass er nicht mehr sicher sei, wo er Trompete und wo Flügelhorn gescpielt habe – er erinnere sich bloss noch mit Sicherheit, dass er auf „Lotus Bud“ Flügelhorn und auf „Shank’s Pranks“ Trompete gespielt habe. Er fügt dann an:

THE OTHER SONGS I’M JUST NOT SURE + IT’S HARD FOR ME TO TELL By LISTENING TO THE TAPE. ONE INTERESTING FACt IS THAT THIS ALBUM HAS THE FiRST RECORDED USE of FLuGElHORN in JAZZ, PRECEEDING THE EALRY MiLES DAVIS ColuMBiA AlBUMS That MilEs PlAYed Flugel HORN ON. I WISH I HAD MORE INFORMATION ABout The SESSiON FOR YOU BUT THAT’S ALL I CAN COME up WiTH.

Die nicht ganz konstante Gross-Schreibung hab ich in etwa so übernommen, wie ich das lese. Manche grossen „i“ haben auch ein Pünktchen, das kann ich leider nicht wiedergeben. Der Brief ist auf Shortys Briefpapier aber nicht datiert, die obige Passage ist in etwa die zweite Hälfte des ganzen Briefes.

Die anderen im Fresh Sound Set enthaltenen Alben haben übrigens durchs Band weg vier Sterne gekriegt in Down Beat, mit Ausnahme des Lou Levy Trio-Albums, von dem keine DB-Rezension abgedruckt ist.
Das Jimmy Rowles Trio-Album, mit dem das Set endet, ist übrigens in schlechterem Sound und ohne die Alternate Takes später auch ins „Pacific Jazz Piano Trios“ Mosaic Select aufgenommen worden – der eine Fall, in dem Fresh Sound besser war als Mosaic!

Dass das Shank-Album das Highlight der acht Alben ist, die im Nocturne-Set zu hören sind, damit kann ich mich gut einverstanden erkären. Die Musik ist in der Tat wunderbar, auch Rogers steuert gute Soli bei, klar umrissen, mit lyrischem aber doch festem Ton. Rowles ist wie eigentlich immer inspirierend und die Rhythmusgruppe macht ihren Job gut, wenn auch manchmal etwas gar unauffällig. Die Highlights stammen von Bud Shank, der seinen wunderschönen Ton am Alt in der Ballade „Jasmine“ am schönsten zur Geltung bringen kann, aber auch in den schnelleren Themen mit boppigerem Spiel zu überzeugen weiss. In „Casa de Luz“ sind auch Rogers geliebte Latin-Rhythmen vertreten und Roy Harte bringt das gut – und ist vielleicht hier auch überhaupt die richtige Wahl, Shelly Mannes viel glitzernderes Spiel hätte wohl der ganzen Band die Schau gestohlen und wäre dem Charakter von Rogers‘ Musik für einmal zuwidergelaufen.

Das Album, mit dem die JSP-Box fortfährt, ist Collaboration, das über drei Sessions im März, Juni und September 1954 von Shorty Rogers & Andre Previn eingespielt wurde. Previn war damals 25 und immer noch so etwas wie ein Wunderkind. Die Band bestand neben den beiden Leadern aus Milt Bernhart (tb), Shank (as,fl), Bob Cooper (ts,oboe), Jimmy Giuffre (bari), Al Hendrickson oder Jack Marshall (g), Joe Mondragon oder Curtis Counce (b) sowie Shelly Manne (d).
Die Musik ist gefällig und speziell Previns Spiel plätschert wie auf den meisten seiner Jazz-Aufnahmen etwas gar hurtig und glänzend vor sich hin. Da ist viel Brillanz an der Oberfläche, aber wie mir scheint wenig Ausgegorenes. Da er zudem soviel Raum für Soli kriegt, wie bisher nie ein Pianist von Rogers, beeinträchtigt das den Erfolg der Aufnahmen mehr als nur ein wenig. Es gibt jedoch auch hier gute Momente in Rogers‘ Arrangements und auch die anderen Solisten steuern einiges bei – wobei auch da noch eine Einschränkung nötig ist: Bob Cooper war in diesen frühen Jahren unter den West Coast Tenoristen einer der ätherischsten, der manchmal wunderbare Momente hingekriegt hat, aber oft auch nur nach recht viel Leere klingt und etwas ins bittere kippt.
Die dritte Session ist am Ende des JSP-Sets zu finden, nach der ergänzenden Session (vom 10. September, nicht 10. Oktober wie ich oben schrieb – wird korrigiert!) für die 12″-Ausgabe von „Shorty Rogers & His Giants“ sowie Rogers‘ Session für das Album „East Coast – West Coast Scene“ (eine Band von Al Cohn vertrat die Ostküste). Dazu komme ich wohl morgen…

Zur Musik mit Andre Previn hier die Kommentare von Drew Kent, der die Notes zum JSP-Set geschrieben hat:

But there are other delights to consider here – Cooper and Shanks‘ soaring contributions to the slow-building Heat Wave; Shorty’s bubbling solo on Everything I’ve Got; Cooper’s fluent tenor and Shank’s discreet flute on You Stepped out of a Dream; Hendrickson’s brief bout of trickiness on It Only Happens When I Dance With You; Giuffre’s ease with his difficult instrument on General Cluster; the superb control of Bernhart’s trombone on Claudia

Da ich diese Sessions nicht dermassen grossartig finde, belasse ich es bei diesen knappen Kommentaren, die durchaus zutreffend sind. Zudem muss einmal mehr ein gutes Wort für Shank eingelegt werden, der auch hier wieder allerlei diffizile Rhythmen und den Wechsel zwischen verschiedenen Rhythmen mit grosser Lockerheit bewerkstelligt und immer wieder mit seinen Einwürfen überzeugt. Für diese Musik ist er genau richtig, auch wenn er im intimeren Rahmen von Shanks Quintett wohl eher unpassend gewesen wäre.

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba