Re: Evan Parker

#7139031  | PERMALINK

atom

Falls jemand in der nächsten Woche in London ist:

Join us next week in a week-long celebration for Evan Parker’s 70th birthday with concerts every night split between OTO and The Vortex.
Monday 20 October 2014 – Cafe OTO
Evan Parker + The Necks SOLD OUT

Tuesday October 21 – The Vortex
Evan Parker / Joe McPhee / Chris Corsano / John Edwards

Wednesday October 22 – Cafe OTO
Evan Parker + AMM (John Tilbury & Eddie Prévost)

Thursday October 23 – The Vortex
Evan Parker with Black Top (Pat Thomas & Orphy Robinson)
Evan Parker / John Edwards / Steve Noble

Friday October 24 – Cafe OTO
Evan Parker / John Edwards / John Russell

Saturday October 25 – The Vortex
Trance Map Quartet with Matt Wright, Hannah Marshall and Barry Guy

Sunday October 26 – Cafe OTO
Evan Parker Electro-Acoustic Ensemble

Im Dezember erscheint „The Topography of The Lungs“ als Vinyl-Reissue auf OTO-Roku:

OTOrokuWe’re very pleased to cap off this year’s celebrations of Evan Parker’s 70th birthday with a vinyl re-issue of ‚The Topography of The Lungs‘ – Evan Parker’s first recording as a „leader“ and originally issued in 1970 as the first LP on Incus, the label he founded with guitarist Derek Bailey and drummer Tony Oxley.
This re-issue has been produced from an original vinyl pressing from Evan’s archives – carefully transcribed and restored by Andreas [LUPO] Lubich at Calyx in Berlin.
Release date: 15 December 2014.
PRE-ORDER NOW for £10
(Regular Price = £13)

Evan Parker‘The Topography of the Lungs’ was the first recording I made as a „leader“ – in the somewhat antiquated terminology of the times. What this means in simple terms is that I set up the date and invited Han and Derek to participate – after that it was a matter of open interaction.

The original notes make clear my enthusiasm for the work that Derek Bailey and Han Bennink had done as a duo and it was good of them to share their discoveries with me. It was the first release on Incus, a label that I set up with Derek Bailey and Tony Oxley with financial assistance from music journalist Michael Walters. No accurate history of Incus Records has yet been written. After parting company and when the conditions of my agreement with Derek Bailey had been met, it was issued as a CD, thanks to Martin Davidson, on my label psi.

Musicians of my generation were very happy when the CD superseded the LP. I remember clearly the initial argument that CD was an elitist format… Times and attitudes have changed and the LP has made a serious return, especially in the documentation of marginal musics. OTOroku is run by and, perhaps, largely for, a new generation of listeners who have an affection for the LP format that reminds me of my youth.

I am very happy that a label associated with one of the most important music venues in London is overseeing this release.

I often travel along Dawes Road in Fulham and pass the building where the recording was made. It is on the first floor by a bus stop and was a small space with a dead acoustic, probably ideal for making low-budget rock demos, which encouraged very analytical listening.

The engineer, Bob Woolford, was not shocked by what we were doing. On the contrary he was then, and remains, one of the great engineers, along with Adam Skeaping and Michael Gerzon who enjoyed the challenges of recording alternative musics.

In the intervening forty-odd years since its first release, the idealism of the original notes has been battered almost sense-less by the Neo-Liberal (Neo-Fascist would be a more accurate term) moves to global hegemony. I take heart from the environ-mental, Occupy and anti-war movements and would encourage all younger listeners to find a way to live their lives as far as possible without interference and control by decisions made in corporate boardrooms. May the music here give you energy and fuel your imaginations.

--

Hey man, why don't we make a tune... just playin' the melody, not play the solos...