Re: JOHNNY CASH – Die "American Recordings"-Alben

Startseite Foren Über Bands, Solokünstler und Genres Solokünstler JOHNNY CASH – Die "American Recordings"-Alben Re: JOHNNY CASH – Die "American Recordings"-Alben

#646229  | PERMALINK

anne-pohl

Ich hab gestern eine Kritik gelesen, die ich mit Abstrichen voll unterschreiben kann.

JOHNNY CASH: „THE MAN COMES AROUND“

By DAN AQUILANTE
——————————————————————————–

November 5, 2002 — JOHNNY CASH
„The Man Comes Around“
Lost Highway Records

Johnny Cash has one of the most stirring, heartfelt voices in music. The Man in Black can make you feel pain, loneliness, hell’s fires and the joys of heavenly reward.

On „The Man Comes Around,“ under the production of Rick Rubin, Cash is again presented stripped of strings and horns – raw, passionate and powerful.

Unfortunately, Rubin has tripped up himself – and Cash – on this disc by pushing some tunes that don’t fit Cash’s voice.

The point they are trying to make is that a voice like Cash’s has no boundaries. It’s a nice theory, but it’s wrongheaded thinking.

That’s made clear time and again here, especially on Cash’s cringe-inducing cover of „Bridge Over Troubled Water“ with Fiona Apple squeaking along.

Cash crashes again on „The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face,“ made popular by Roberta Flack, and the ill-conceived cover of Depeche Mode’s „Personal Jesus.“ That one sucks so hard, you gasp for air.

Where Cash and Rubin do succeed is on more traditional tunes, like when they bang the drum slowly for the sad cowboy tale „Streets of Laredo,“ „Danny Boy“ and on the duet with Nick Cave on Hank Williams‘ classic „I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry.“

Cash should have trusted himself more on this record instead of rolling on a bed of wrinkled covers.

Quelle: New York Post

--