Re: R.E.M.

#464807  | PERMALINK

tom9thomas9

R.E.M.-Artikel im amerikanischen Rolling Stone

„R.E.M. guitarits Peter Buck sits in a small, late-nineteenth century chapel in the band’s hometown of Athens, GA and looks up with a boy’s wonder at the world of gear–drums, amps, mikes, vintage guitars–on the stage in front of him. R.E.M. are holding the final sessions for their new studio album here, and Buck is having a great time. ‚If you were fifteen and you could make noise all day long with this equipment, you’d think, ‚God, this is the best thing on earth,‘ he says. ‚And you know what? It is. I just tried to remind the other guys–this should be fun. We got into a bad habit of spending months in the studio,‘ Buck admit, referring to the albums he, singer Michael Stipe and bassist Mike Mills made after drummer Bill Berry left R.E.M. in 1977. ‚My feeling is, we are a great live band. Let’s do a great live band record in the studio.“…

Down in the control room, Stipe sits at a table, making last-minute notes and edits on lyric sheets as the new songs boom through the speakers in front of him: the fast, corrosive, „Horse to Water“ and „Accelerate“; the dark, rolling drama of „Sing for the Submarine“; the deceptively cherry jangle of „Disguise“ and „Hollow Man.“ ‚I go into whatever Peter and Mike give me,‘ he says later of his writing for the album. ‚I close my eyes, start humming along, and whatever the feeling is, I stay true to it.’…

For the record, Mills says, he and Buck agreed that the band needed ‚faster, shorter guitar-oriented songs‚… ‚I don’t have to rhyme all the time,‘ (Stipe) says. ‚I can be indirect. It doesn’t have to mean anything. If it comes from a real place and it sounds good, that’s enough. This is a very melodic record.‘

Mills believes it is also an album R.E.M. made at just the right time. ‚I feel that people are ready to like R.E.M. again,‘ he says with a big smile. „Part of me feels like it’s 1985 and we’re a brand new band again.‘

Vorfreude aufs neue Album wird immer größer…:bigsmile:

--

Until you risk it you don't know what it is.