Re: Klassik: Fragen und Empfehlungen

#4068277  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Mir wurde gerade, im Zusammenhang mit Liszt, ein neuer Name genannt: Ervin Nyiregyházi

Kennt jemand Aufnahmen von ihm? Bestimmte Empfehlungen? Ins CD-Zeitalter scheint er es nicht wirklich geschafft zu haben, ich sehe nur grad eine auch bereits vergriffene Doppel-CD von Music&Arts mit Live-Aufnahmen (Liszt, Chopin, Brahms, Schumann, Tschaikowski etc).
Anscheinend gab’s in den Siebzigern zwei Columbia LP und eine für das Label Desmar, zwei davon ganz Liszt gewidmet.

Auch sonst klingt er nach einer faszinierenden Figur, sex-süchtig, zehnmal verheiratet, mit Béla Lugosi und Gloria Swanson befreundet, studiert hat er u.a. bei Ernö Dohnányi (von dem ich grad gestern am Radio ein tolles Stück gehört habe), als Kind wurde er über mehrere Jahre von einem Psychologen als Studienobjekt ge-, wohl eher miss-braucht, sexuellen Missbrauch von Seiten der Mutter mag es auch noch gegeben haben, jedenfalls wurde er von dieser zum Wunderkind erzogen (den Ausdruck „stage mother“ kannte ich noch gar nicht, lässt sich wohl nicht übersetzen?) … eine ziemlich krasse Geschichte, während der auch in der U-Bahn genächtigt wurde und nach vierzig Jahren ohne Klavier wurde er in den Siebzigern wieder ausgegraben. Schönberg schrieb 1935 über ihn an Otto Klemperer (zitiert nach dem oben verlinkten Wiki-Eintrag):

Yesterday at Dr. Hoffmann’s I heard a pianist who appears to be something really quite extraordinary. I had to overcome great resistance in order to go at all, for the description I’d heard from Dr. Hoffmann and from Maurice Zam had made me very skeptical. But I must say that I have never heard such a pianist before…First, he does not play at all in the style you and I strive for. And just as I did not judge him on that basis, I imagine that when you hear him, you too will be compelled to ignore all matters of principle, and probably will end up doing just as I did. For your principles would not be the proper standard to apply. What he plays is expression in the older sense of the word, nothing else; but such power of expression I have never heard before. You will disagree with his tempis as much as I did. You will also note that he often seems to give primacy to sharp contrasts at the expense of form, the latter appearing to get lost. I say appearing to; for then, in its own way, his music surprisingly regains its form, makes sense, establishes its own boundaries. The sound he brings out of the piano is unheard of, or at least I have never heard anything like it. He himself seems not to know how he produces these novel and quite incredible sounds – although he appears to be a man of intelligence and not just some flaccid dreamer. And such fullness of tone, achieved without ever becoming rough, I have never before encountered. For me, and probably for you too, it’s really too much fullness, but as a whole it displays incredible novelty and persuasiveness. And above all he’s only [sc. 33 years] old, so he’s still got several stages of development before him, from which one may expect great things, given his point of departure… Technique: it is amazing what he plays and how he plays it. One never senses that it is difficult, that it is technique – no, it is simply a power of the will, capable of soaring over all imaginable difficulties in the realization of an idea. – You see, I’m waxing almost poetic.

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba