Re: Bob Dylan

#292713  | PERMALINK

dock

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) – There was a special Bob Dylan concert Thursday. It was not on the tour, although he was joined by regular band members Larry Campbell, Tony Garnier, George Recile and Charlie Sexton.

The „concert“ was for Dylan’s final scene in „Masked and Anonymous,“ which was filming on Stage 6 of Ray-Art Studios in Canoga Park. Among the songs he played/recorded for the film — the traditional „Dixie.“ But he also played „If You See Her, Say Hello,“ „I’ll Remember You,“ „Dirt Road Blues“ and some new songs yet to be recorded — on both electric and acoustic guitars.

The all-star film is being shot with 24-frame digital cameras by Larry Charles, making his feature bow following dozens of TV successes (including two Emmys for „Seinfeld“). He says the footage looks fabulous. Many of the cast, although not working Thursday, returned to the set to catch the filming of the Dylan concert. They included Ed Harris, Val Kilmer, Steven Bauer and Jessica Lange.

In the story, set sometime in the future, John Goodman plays Uncle Sweetheart, the manager of Dylan’s character Jack Fate. Goodman described the manager as „a combination Don King and Colonel Tom Parker.“ Goodman drove out from New Orleans to play the role. „I’m still pinching myself that I’m in this movie with him.“

Besides Dylan’s obvious musical talent — „He’s always singing between takes — and he’s very funny“ — Goodman allows, he took the role „as a labor of love.“

The same could be said for the rest of the cast, as producer Nigel Sinclair told me the film is budgeted „below $10 million and above $5 (million).“ And the cast is paid „on an appropriate working formula to share proceeds“ — plus Dylan’s share with his Destiny Prods. Sinclair, who produces with Jeff Rosen for Spitfire Prods., says they were able to assemble the cast because of director Charles‘ relationship with Dylan.

The six major players are Dylan, Goodman, Lange, Luke Wilson, Jeff Bridges, Penelope Cruz. The supporting players: Harris, Kilmer, Angela Bassett, Giovanni Ribisi, Mickey Rourke, Bruce Dern, Christian Slater, Chris Penn, Cheech Marin and Bauer.

In addition to the finale concert, Dylan and his music are heard throughout the film’s story. With no release deal made, they hope to launch it next year at Sundance.

finde die Setlist klingt sehr interresant……….

--