Re: Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) – Jeff Lynne

#2579533  | PERMALINK

pelo_ponnes

Und mal wieder ein paar „Geständnisse“:

Sharleen Spiteri (Texas)

ILM: How’s that writing going? What kind of influences are floating around?

Sharleen: A lot of people ask that, but I never have this conversation this early on. It’s funny because what you’re influenced by and what you think you’re making at the beginning of a record is never how it turns out. So I’d be telling you things and they’d be gobbledygook to be honest! Sometimes you don’t even know what’s influenced you at the point at which you’re writing it. It’s hysterical because I’ve done Xanadu on this album, and it’s really weird, ‚cos every time I go to sing Xanadu at the moment I keep thinking I’m going to sing Halo! I’m a massive Jeff Lynne fan, and Jeff Lynne did Xanadu. It’s kind of weird, because ELO and Jeff Lynne are very influential as songwriters to me, but you don’t even know half the time what’s influenced you!

http://www.ilikemusic.com/interviews/Sharleen_Spiteri_Interview_2010-9315/4

Texas-Sängerin Sharleen Spiteri sagt, dass man nie genau weiss, was am Ende beim Songwriting-Prozess rauskommt. Manchmal weiss sie noch nicht einmal, was sie gerade beeinflusst, beim nächsten Mal dann hat sie zwar eine klare Inspiration, doch am Ende entwickelt sich alles in eine andere Richtung. In jedem Falle ist sie, die Xanadu gecovert hat, ein großer ELO-Fan. ELO und Jeff Lynne sind in jedem Falle ziemliche Einflüsse für sie als Songwriterin.

Rooney’s Louie Stephens
Busy pop-rock quartet Rooney gets very few days off
Pensacola News Journal (Florida)
July 2, 2010
by Julio Diaz

Excerpt:

Another key influence is ELO, something that may seem obvious to anyone who’s seen the band’s new music video for „Can’t Get Enough.“ The psychedelic roller-skating clip has a definite „Xanadu“ vibe.

„We’re all huge (ELO frontman) Jeff Lynne fans,“ Stephens said. „He wrote these great songs on that soundtrack. One of the main things we all have as common ground is ELO. Robert’s brother, (actor/musician) Jason (Schwartzman – the two are the sons of actress Talia Shire and part of the Coppola Hollywood dynasty) kind of introduced ELO to the rest of the brothers in that crew. Robert brought it to the band.“

Quelle:
http://www.pnj.com/article/20100702/ENTERTAINMENT/7020306
nach Showdown mailing list

Rooney, die gerade ein Video mit Xanadu-Anleihen gemacht haben, sagen, dass sie alle große Jeff/ELO-Fans seien. Schließlich habe Jeff all diese großartigen Stücke auf dem Xanadu-Soundtrack geschrieben.

Alan Parsons

Und dann war da noch dieses Alan Parsons-Video auf youtube, das ich im Moment nicht finden kann. Er äußerte sich darin zu Roy Wood und Jeff Lynne. Bisher gibt es eigentlich nur sehr wenige Aussagen dazu. Soweit ich mich erinnere, sprach er seine Bewunderung für beide aus. Er habe sowohl von Roy Wood im Studio viel gelernt als auch umgekehrt. ELO habe er auch bewundert, und auch das Musicland Studio, wo ELO mit Mack aufnahmen. Genauere Auskünfte, wenn ich das Video wiedergefunden habe.

Neil Hannon/Thomas Walsh
hingegen lassen keine Gelegenheit aus, sich lobend über Jeff, Roy und Co zu äußern. Zuletzt vgl http://www.elodiscovery.com/all-over-the-world.html
Und hier wird auch deutlich, wie eng die Kontakte zu Mel Gale und EX-ELO-Membern sind. Gut möglich, dass Gale doch bei diesem Konzert von ihnen war, was zu Spekulationen führte.

--