Re: Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) – Jeff Lynne

#2578867  | PERMALINK

pelo_ponnes

Heute noch mal ein paar Zitate anderer Musiker.

Steven Wilson Porcupine Tree
Steven Wilson

Quelle: Showdown und direkt
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/3259/20-albums-that-deserve-to-be-in-surround-sound.html

ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA: Out of the Blue
Everything but the kitchen sink! What I love about Jeff Lynne’s production is how he
approaches each song with a view to creating a different soundworld. Those great gags – vocoder, choirs, Baroque strings, phased acoustic guitars, sound effects – are all the ingredients you need for an inspiring surround mix.

Der Kopf von Porcupine Tree, zuletzt im ZUsammenhang mit den King Crimson Reissues groß in Erscheinung getreten und ein EXperte in Sachen Surround-Mixes listet also „Out Of The Blue“ als eines der Alben, von denen er gerne einen Surround-Mix sehen würde. Was ihn fasziniert, ist dass Jeff Lynne jeden Song mit der Absicht angeht, eine andere Soundwelt zu erschaffen. Die vielfältigen Elemente seien ideal für einen Surround-Mix. (Recht hat er, nur wo sind die Multitracks?)

Kreisky
Der ME hatte das jüngste Album der Österreicher in der Jahresbestenliste, also warum nicht mal darauf hinweisen, dass auch diese Musiker auf ELO stehen:

Kreisky
Alle Bandmitglieder kommen ja auch aus sehr unterschiedlichen Ecken…
F: So ist es. Ich etwa bin ein virtuelles 70er-Jahre-Relikt. Meine letzte große musikalische Neuentdeckung war das Electric Light Orchestra.
Im Ernst?
F: Völliger Ernst. Aber da gibt es auch den klassischen Spruch, dass wir vier eigentlich nie in einer gemeinsamen Band spielen dürften.
Dez. 2007
http://www.mica.at/musiknachrichten/detail_14134.html

Mike Campbell (Tom Petty)

Auch Mike Campbell hält Jeff Lynne für einen erstaunlichen Produzenten. Für ihn war die ZUsammenarbeit mit Jeff wie der Besuch eines Musikcolleges, da er jede Menge Dinge lernte. Jeff war immer voller Enthusiasmus, voller Ideen und Tricks und ein Meister darin, einen Song im Overdubverfahren von Grund auf aufzubauen, so dass am Ende alles passte, mit allerhand berschiedenen Ebenen und Gegenmelodien.

Mike Campbell (Heartbreakers)
Mike told us about working with Jeff Lynne:
„When we did that first record with Jeff Lynne, Full Moon Fever, that was an amazing time for me because it was mostly just the 3 of us, me and Tom and Jeff working at my house. Jeff Lynne is an amazing record-maker. It was so exciting for a lot of reasons. First of all, our band energy in the studio had gotten into kind of a rut, we were having some issues with our drummer and just kind of at the end of our rope in terms of inspiration – having a lot of trouble cutting tracks in the studio. This project came along and really we were just doing it for fun at the beginning, but Jeff would come in and every day he would blow my mind. It was so exciting to have him and Tom come over and go, ‚OK, here’s this song,‘ and then Jeff would just go. I’d never seen this done before, he’d say, ‚OK, here’s what we’re going to do – put a drum machine down. Now put up a mic, we’re going to do some acoustic guitars. Put up another mic, were going to do a keyboard. OK, here’s an idea for the bass. Mike, let’s try some guitar on this. I’ve got an idea for a background part here…‘ Sure enough, within 5 or 6 hours, the record would be done, and we’d just sit back and go, ‚How the f-ck did you do that?‘ We were used to being in the studio and like ‚OK, here’s how the song goes‘ and everybody would set up to play and just laboriously run the song into the ground, and it usually got worse and worse from trying to get the groove and the spirit and trying to get a performance out of 5 guys at once. This guy walked in and he knew exactly how to put the pieces together, and he always had little tricks, like with the background vocals how he would slide them in and layer them, and little melodies here and there. Tom and I were soaking it up. Pretty amazing, a very exciting time, like going to musical college or something.“

Quelle: nach ELO Forever Board

--