Re: Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) – Jeff Lynne

#2578731  | PERMALINK

pelo_ponnes

Bevor es vielleicht wirklich ein paar News geben wird – Insider sprechen von einem „huge“ ELO-Year 2010, und auch die Seite www.ftmusic.com lässt auf der Newsseite so einiges erahnen – hier noch ein paar Stimmen zu ELO bzw. gesammelte Infos.

Dick Plant
(Toningenieur in den De Lane Lea Studios, u.a. hat er auch für Shadows und Renaissance gearbeitet)

Tell us about your time working with ELO
I did a couple of early albums with them – one was “On The Third Day” and the other was “Eldorado”. Jeff Lynne was a very focussed and driven person – totally in control of the situation at all times. A massive Beatles fan – I imagine he’s been in his element over the last few years working with them on those various projects he’s been involved in. He was very inventive and had an individual way of approaching certain aspects of recording – he bore a strong similarity to Roy Wood in this. There definitely seemed to be a Brummy way of doing things then. I worked with his ELO before I met Roy – in fact Jeff more or less introduced me to him. Then, when Roy decided he wanted to work with me, Jeff sort of disappeared. I met him again some years later and he told me that he had assumed I wouldn’t want to work with him any more on account of my friendship with Roy. Apparently, there had been a bit of professional animosity involved in Roy handing over ELO to Jeff and he seemed to have had the idea that I would have taken sides. Strange. I enjoyed the time that I did spend with them though and I learnt quite a lot from it.

http://www.shadowsfansite.co.uk/default8.htm März 2009-03-07

Nach Plant wusste Jeff genau, was er wollte und hatte zu jeder Zeit alles im Griff. Seine Beatlesliebe blieb auch ihm nicht verborgen, aber er betont, dass sowohl Jeff und Roy eine sehr individuelle Arbeitsweise im Studio an den Tag legten und sehr erfinderisch/innovativ waren. Er gesteht dem Birmingham-Sound somit ein eigenes Profil zu. Jeff brachte Roy Wood letztlich auch zu Dick Plant, das führte aber zu Spannungen, und Jeff arbeitete in Zukunft mit anderen Leuten, sprich nicht mehr mit Dick Plant. Mackt! aber nichts, er fand ja tollen Ersatz!

Colin Owen
Cheftoningenieur im Old Smithy Studio, einem der größten in den West MIdlands, hat sowohl mit ROy als auch Jeff gearbeitet und war ELOs LIvesoundmann 1986. ZUm musikalischen Können der BAnd meint er:

Excellent. Every one of them. It was a joy to have such great guys at my finger tips. A good musician makes a good sound, and that makes my job so much easier. It works best when the guys on the stage make the sound and the PA simply throws it out, rather that the guy on the PA trying to ‚make‘ the sound as well as throw it out. ELO were one of the best sets of musicians I have ever worked with.

Quelle: e-mail Korrespondenz August 2009

Nach Colin waren ELO eine der besten Ansammlungen von Musikern, mit denen er je gearbeitet hat. Jeder einzelne von ihnen sei musikalisch exzellent.

Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth)

Leider konnte der Informant sich nicht an die Quelle erinnern, aber er versicherte glaubhaft folgendes:

I can’t remember where I saw the quote from Thurston Moore, but he was talking about bands that people might be surprised he listened to, and ELO was one of them.

Quelle: ELO Forever Forum

--