Re: Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) – Jeff Lynne

#2576507  | PERMALINK

pelo_ponnes

Quote(n)regelung:

Also, in Zukunft schreibe ich in diesen Thread Zitate anderer über Jeff Lynne und ELO (die ich natürlich fleissig sammele). Zum Auftakt mal was von Bill Bottrell, bekannter Produzent (u.a. Sheryl Crow, Madonna, Shelby Lynne, Michael Jackson etc), der mit ELO in den 80er zusammenarbeitete und vor allem bei Secret Messages (als engineer).

Das folgende habe ich von dieser Fanseiterauskopiert, wo sich ein Fan zu ELO's 80er-Alben äussert:

I quite like the electronic/synth based stuff Jeff got into in the eighties. In fact I would say my favorite time period for ELO would be 1980-86. „All Over the World“ to me shows Jeff at his best vocally and Jeff's production is over the top in a good way. I think it's too bad that Xanadu is seen as a project that damaged ELO's credibility.
But Xanadu also saw the start of Jeff working with a guy named Bill Bottrell, who went on to work with Sheryl Crow and Shelby Lynne! The pairing of Jeff and Bill was a really good combination, in my opinion. They worked together for about the next ten years.
Incidentally here is what Bill wrote in 1994 about working with Jeff on Secret Messages-

„Secret Messages was recorded over a 6-month period starting in August,
1982, at Wisseloord Studios, Hilversum, Holland. I was the engineer.
These sessions were among the most intense and creative I've ever been
associated with in 20 years in the studio. The double album we turned in
was quite advanced both artistically and sonically. CBS records was by
that time taking ELO for granted and made the decision to cut the record
down to a single disc. They cut out the most adventurous material.
„Endless Lies“ was indeed a Roy Orbison nod. There was „Mandalay“, a tour
de force and a wall of sound the likes of which would not be touched for
another 15 years. There was „No Way Out“ with its simulated tap-dance and
brilliant dance-hall vocal. „Beatles Forever“, and „My Old Friend“ about
Birmingham in Jeff's youth. I believe some of this stuff may have come
out in a boxed set, but I'm not sure. I know I still have my tape.
Bill Bottrell“

Kurze Deutsche ZF: Bill Bottrell sagt, das das Doppelalbum (ja, es war ein Doppelalbum. Fans wissen das) Secret Messages sowohl klanglich als auch künstlerisch für die damalige Zeit „der Zeit voraus“ war. Er zählt die SM-Sessions zu den kreativsten, die er in seiner langen Karrierre erleben durfte.

So viel für heute, weitere Zitate werden folgen.

--