Antwort auf: EELS – Extreme Witchcraft (E-Works, 28.01.2022)

Startseite Foren Die Tonträger: Aktuell und Antiquariat Aktuelle Platten EELS – Extreme Witchcraft (E-Works, 28.01.2022) Antwort auf: EELS – Extreme Witchcraft (E-Works, 28.01.2022)

#11787123  | PERMALINK

Anonym
Inaktiv

American Songwriter – Review: Mark Oliver Everett’s EELS’ ‘Extreme Witchcraft’ Offers More “Better Living Through Desperation”

From the tight funk of “Grandfather Clock Strikes Twelve” where Everett slides into a Prince-like falsetto over a taut bass lick, to the Steely Dan styled aforementioned “Stumbling Bee,” there is no shortage of variety here. The Technicolor pop of “Strawberries & Popcorn” describes how much fun he’ll have while his significant other is away, before realizing he misses them with Nobody here to hold me so tight/And keeping me warm all through the night/And nobody here to listen to me/Understanding my fears and my dreams. That droll, witty dichotomy is what makes Everett and his EELS music so enticing and ultimately likeable. It’s tough not to love a guy who wears his self-deprecation and humility like a badge of honor.

None of these 12 selections break the four-minute mark yet they exude so many ingenious lyrical and musical left turns that each begs another play to catch what you missed the first time. E’s dusky voice puts everything across with cool, detached aplomb adding to the songs’ clever charms.

Passt!

--