Antwort auf: Ich höre gerade … Jazz!

#11701685  | PERMALINK

redbeansandrice

auf amazon hat sich ein Rezensent ausfuehrlicher geaussert:

I’m moved to review it mainly for one reason. I was at the Monterey Jazz Festival that year so saw and heard these sets live. Every single link you will find here and elsewhere on the Internet repeat the mistake that is on the album itself. The bassist was Butch Warren, not John Ore. Really, this is very evident if you just listen to it. Ore was a fine solid player, but he was not as supple and imaginative, especially in solos, as Warren, and Warren has a playful side–very enjoyably, he will play the melodies of Monk’s compositions within his solos on the pieces–as well as a sound of his own. Ore had left the group early in 1963 and Warren came in on „Monk in Tokyo“ (not fully in the form heard here yet). At Newport in June he’s very much as he is here–compare „Light Blue“ played at both Newport and Monterey (and in Lincoln Center Big Band Concert when Warren was still in the band); interplay between Monk and Warren, as well as Warren’s solo, are very similar all three times. So I assure everyone here that you must ignore the personnel listing (Monk, Rouse and Dunlop are correctly identified though!) and that it’s Butch Warren on bass.

--