Antwort auf: Who’s Gladys Thompson, anyway? (Auf der Suche nach Chuck Thompson, Jazz-Drummer)

Startseite Foren Über Bands, Solokünstler und Genres Eine Frage des Stils Blue Note – das Jazzforum Who’s Gladys Thompson, anyway? (Auf der Suche nach Chuck Thompson, Jazz-Drummer) Antwort auf: Who’s Gladys Thompson, anyway? (Auf der Suche nach Chuck Thompson, Jazz-Drummer)

#11437499  | PERMALINK

redbeansandrice

von hier, wobei das einfach nur ein Teil von Gerald Wilsons Central Avenue Sounds Oral History ist… der ganze Trompetensatz wechselte also in der Tat von Les Hite zu Benny Carter und nahm auch noch „Kurk Bradford“ mit… irgendwann zwischen Maerz und Juli 43…

Gerald Wilson
I left the Lunceford band in April 1942. It was the time of World War II. I was 1-A, and I knew I was going to be called soon. I wanted to spend a little time kind of relaxed. I’d been with him a long time and needed a little time to kind of get ready for the service. And that’s what I did. I came here.

But I didn’t go for a while, so I went with Les Hite. I stayed with him for about six months. We played a long engagement at the Wilshire Bowl, which had become the Louisiana Club. The Wilshire Bowl was a fine nightclub that changed its name in the early forties to the Louisiana Club. It was on Wilshire near the Miracle Mile. But the Miracle Mile was nothing but open space in there. We played there for like two or three months. Every night. Big show. Big, big, big chorus line, big acts, big-time acts. All white acts, like the Rio Brothers and different kinds of singers. They had a black band, though; we were the black band. Mingus played with us there. And then Snooky was in the band. He joined Les Hite, too. He moved out to the coast, and he moved in.

Les Hite was always recognized as having a good band. He had good music. I did a lot of writing for him while I was in his band, and Gil Fuller did a lot of arrangements for him. He had been successful, and he knew how to front a band. And he was very popular. We toured, we played all up the coast here. Finally, he just gave it up. After all those years, he probably just really got tired of it.

And then we went with Benny Carter. Our whole trumpet section from that band, we just went into Benny’s band one night. We were tough. In fact, those four trumpets-we also went out and played the music for the special dance that the black dancers did in This Is the Army with this huge orchestra, Warner Brothers orchestra. And the four trumpet players were black: it was Snooky Young, myself, a fellow named Jack Trainor, and another kid named Walter Williams. We were the only trumpets in the band. But we guaranteed that we could play anything. [laughter] We could play anything you had between the four of us. We handled it all. So we went into Benny’s band one night. And from that night on, his band was lifted from here to here. Do you understand what I’m saying? From here to here. [laughter]

J. J. Johnson was in the band. They had Teddy Brannon and Bumps Myers. Oh, he had some good guys. He had Shorty Horton, J. J., „Big“ Matthews, trombone. These were guys right out of New York. That was the trombone section. And he had Kurk Bradford. We had taken him from Les Hite’s band.

--