Antwort auf: Miles Davis

#11300139  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Stücke, die Miles Davis nicht komponiert hat – neben „Four“ und „Tune Up“, die ja beide von Eddie Vinson stammten:

About two weeks later, I got a call back from Jackie [McLean]. He had been out of town. I asked him about “Dig.” He said that he had brought that tune to a recording session with Miles, in 1951. Sonny Rollins was there too, and had brought a tune called “Out of the Blue.” When the album came out, Miles was listed as the composer of both tunes. Jackie was willing to consider it an error by the recording engineer. He later talked to a lawyer about getting proper credit, but was told that the returns would not justify the cost of pursuing it, so he just let it go.

Then Jackie said. “Maybe you’ve heard that ‘Four’ and ‘Tune Up’ were written by Eddie Vinson.” I said that I had heard rumors to that effect. “And ‘Solar’ was written by Chuck Wayne.” I hadn’t heard that before. “Well, that’s what they say.” Jackie also mentioned that some people thought that “Donna Lee,” credited to Charlie Parker, had actually been written by Miles, but Jackie doubted that. In his opinion, Miles’ melodic sense at that point, early in his career, was not developed enough for him to have written it. I thanked Jackie for the call (I felt honored!), and we hung up.

http://peterspitzer.blogspot.com/2011/05/tunes-miles-may-not-have-written.html

Es lohnt, dort die ganzen Links weiterzuverfolgen!

Aus den Addenda des zitierten Eintrages, um es hier zu bündeln:

„The Serpent’s Tooth“ – Jimmy Heath
„Milestones“ (1947) – John Lewis
„Walkin'“/“Sid’s Ahead“ – Jimmy Mundy
„Donna Lee,“ – Aaron Sachs (als „Tiny’s Con“)

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba