J Mascis – Elastic Days

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 54)
  • Autor

go1
    Gang of One

Erscheint am 09.11. auf Sub Pop.

Tracklist:
    01. See You at the Movies
    02. Web so Dense
    03. I Went Dust
    04. Sky Is All We Had
    05. Picking Out the Seeds
    06. Give It Off
    07. Drop Me
    08. Cut Stranger
    09. Elastic Days
    10. Sometimes
    11. Wanted You Around
    12. Everything She Said

Promo-Text von Byron Coley:

Like its predecessors, Elastic Days was recorded at J’s own Bisquiteen studio. Mascis does almost all his own stunts, although Ken Miauri (who also appeared on Tied to a Star) plays keyboards and there are a few guest vocal spots. These include old mates Pall Jenkins (Black Heart Procession), and Mark Mulcahy (Miracle Legion, etc.), as well as the newly added voice of Zoë Randell (Luluc) among others. But the show is mostly J’s and J’s alone. (…)

But for those expecting the hallucinatory overload of Dinosaur Jr’s live attack, the gentleness of the approach here will draw easy comparisons to Neil Young’s binary approach to working solo versus working with Crazy Horse. This is a lazy man’s shorthand, but it still rings true.

J’s vocals have always leaned in a direction acknowledging the Bard of Toronto, but as early as Dinosaur Jr’s third single, the epoch-defining “Freak Scene,” J’s off-hand vocal delivery was instantly recognizable. On a track like “Sky Is All We Had,” the same dynamism is at work, but the evolution of technique is so massive as to lift the proceedings to a new level. The album is chock-full of similar nuggets. Built around acoustic guitar figures, often holding off electric flights of guitar backdrop until the third act, the tunes are massively seductive and satisfying. J’s fave track is “See You at the Movies,” which has a fully evolved sense of loss hanging over it, and features the classic couplet, “I don’t peak too early/I don’t peak at all.” My own choice is “Picking Out the Seeds,” on which J pulls out his falsetto voice to great effect, and maintains a middlin’ pace that makes the tune one of the great Beard Rock readymades of the era.

But Elastic Days brims with great moments. Epic hooks that snare you in surprisingly subtle ways, guitar textures that slide against each other like old lovers, and structures that range from a neo-power-ballad (“Web So Dense”) to jazzily-canted West Coasty post-psych (“Give It Off”) to a track that subliminally recalls the keyboard approach of Scott Thurston-era Stooges (“Drop Me”). The album plays out with a combination of holism and variety that is certain to set many brains ablaze.

Da es schon drei vielversprechende Vorab-Tracks gibt und mehrere User Interesse an dem Album bekundet haben, kann man ruhig mal einen Thread eröffnen.

--

To Hell with Poverty
    Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
    Werbung
    #10609313  | PERMALINK

marbeck
    Keine Lust, mir etwas auszudenken

Pflichtkauf

--

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best --- Dienstags und donnerstags, ab 20 Uhr, samstags ab 20.30 Uhr: Radio StoneFM
    #10609327  | PERMALINK

clau
    Coffee Bar Cat

marbeckPflichtkauf

Türlich, türlich.

--

How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?
    #10609391  | PERMALINK

marbeck

Web so dense habe ich jetzt dreimal gehört, großartig. Besser als alles auf dem neuen Weller-Album.

--

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best --- Dienstags und donnerstags, ab 20 Uhr, samstags ab 20.30 Uhr: Radio StoneFM
    #10609439  | PERMALINK

themagneticfield

Mir gefällt ja bisher See You At The Movies am besten. Könnte ein starkes Album werden.

--

"Man kann nicht verhindern, dass man verletzt wird, aber man kann mitbestimmen von wem. Was berührt, das bleibt!
    #10609467  | PERMALINK

zissou

See You At The Movies find ich auch sehr toll

See You At The Movies

zuletzt geändert von zissou

--

#10609487  | PERMALINK

bullitt

marbeckWeb so dense habe ich jetzt dreimal gehört, großartig.

Soooo geil, wenn beim Finale Cello und Piano einsetzen und J eins seiner unwiderstehlichen fuzzy Gitarrensolis drüber klebt.  :heart:

--

#10613997  | PERMALINK

opd2

zissouSee You At The Movies find ich auch sehr toll See You At The Movies

Großartig. Bei ihm reichen mir in der Regel schon wenige Sekunden um mir ein Lächeln ins Gesicht zu zaubern.

--

#10614011  | PERMALINK

nikodemus

Alle Vorab Tracks sind toll bis fantastisch, ich freu mich wieder mal richtig auf ein VÖ Termin

--

and now we rise and we are everywhere
    #10625197  | PERMALINK

go1
    Gang of One

Jetzt gibt es auch den Titeltrack zu hören (in einem Ultra-Low-Budget-Clip mit Dina Martina):

--

To Hell with Poverty
    #10625291  | PERMALINK

marbeck

Großartig. Das wird ein Top_Album.

--

#10625305  | PERMALINK

opd2

Ich gehe mittlerweile auch davon aus, dass es mein Lieblingsalbum von ihm (solo) wird.

--

#10626571  | PERMALINK

bullitt

Das wird ein vorgezogenes Weihnachtsfest. :-)

--

#10639841  | PERMALINK

go1
    Gang of One

Seit das Album vor zwei Wochen erschienen ist, hat niemand mehr einen Mucks gemacht: Sind etwa alle enttäuscht von der Platte? Hinter meinen Erwartungen ist sie jedenfalls zurückgeblieben. Es sind natürlich starke Tracks drauf und ich höre keinen echten Schwachpunkt, aber irgendwie ist das Ganze weniger als die Summe seiner Teile. Mehr Vielfalt und Abwechslung hätten dem Album gut getan. Vielleicht ist es auch nicht optimal, dass J Mascis fast alles selbst spielt (nicht nur Gitarre und Schlagzeug, sondern auch noch Bass und Mellotron).

--

To Hell with Poverty
    #10639847  | PERMALINK

dengel

Im musikalischen Tagebuch wurde über diese Platte die letzten Tage geschrieben.

--

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 54)

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.