Antwort auf: Nina Simone

#10422035  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Nina Simone – The Bethlehem Singles (BMG, 2018, CD)

Nina Simone – The Colpix Singles (Stateside/Parlophone, 2018, 2 CD)

Kommentar eines Bekannten von hier:

Bethlehem singles: As I presumed some of the single issues were edits of the LP tracks, like on Mood Indogo, where they cut off the instrumental intro at the break before the vocal starts. As there are no timings on the CD or booklet it is a bit cumbersome to find out details. The mono sound is very good, much more dynamic than the stereo version. She uses the full expressive piano range from pianissimo to smashing chords. As the CD runs only for 46 minutes, they could have added the unedited tracks for completeness, and in mono as well, to do her full justice. The single issue of „He’s Got The Whole Wolrd“ indeed is an alternate take. Anyway it’s nice to hear these tracks in the order the single buying public got to hear them – especially when listened to while reading the corresponding chapters in her biography.

Colpix singles: All mono mixes just as well, and again more direct and dynamic than the stereo CDs issued 2004/05. Again, edits on some tracks, but no alternate takes. Two discs, 81+ minutes of music. „Summertime“ had to be dubbed from an LP – clearly audible. If she had any input in the choice of tracks for the singles issues, it clearly shows her preference to be viewed as a folk singer in the first place. There is one mistake: They credit „I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl“ to Nina ! Since some of these tracks never made it to the original LPs, maybe a gap-filler for some, but all were added as bonus tracks to the Colpix/Parlophone/Roulette CD reissues. Cardboard slipcase without inner sleeves …. :wacko:

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba