Antwort auf: Geri Allen (1957-2017)

#10218381  | PERMALINK

vorgarten

kurz noch ein paar facebook-importe, weil ich das gerade sehr rührend finde, wie intensiv dort der austausch ist. einige (jeff ‚tain‘ watts, steve lehman) haben geri-allen-fotos zu ihren profilbildern gemacht oder zeigen sich mit ihr:

es gibt selbstreflexionen darüber, ob man es geschafft hat, dem jazz in den 80ern neues leben einzuhauchen, sehr viele leute sagen, dass mit geri allen ein zentraler mensch ihrer „szene“ verstorben ist, oder ein vorbild (unter anderem alice coltranes tochter michelle). hier ein statement von robin eubanks:

Geri Allen has been a friend and colleague of mine for 30 years. I couldn’t do anything Tuesday after hearing of her death. We met in the mid-80’s when we were forming and developing the M-Base Collective with several other musicians in Brooklyn. Geri’s musical voice is very unique. She was a very sensitive person and you sometimes had to be aware of that when talking to her, but that sensitivity came through her music in shimmering waves of brilliance. I remember back when we were all together and I was speaking with Steve Coleman about the individual styles in M-Base and how we thought Geri wrote better than all of us.

I did several different projects and recordings with Geri over the years. She brought me to the Univ. of Pittsburgh last year as part of an ensemble she put together for their annual Jazz Festival and we kept in touch discussing her son Wallace since he is a student at Oberlin College where I teach.

und nicholas payton postet ein foto von den dreharbeiten zu KANSAS CITY, geri allen sitzt direkt hinter regisseur robert altman, außerdem sind don byron, james carter, joshua redman, payton selbst und christian mcbride zu sehen:

--