ultimative Top 1000!?

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 16 bis 30 (von insgesamt 61)
  • Autor

kritikersliebling

weit mehr als 100 Polls/Umfragen und einem eigens entwickeltem Statistikprogramm

Das könnte die Krux der Objektivität sein.

Ansonsten, endlich mal ne Liste, die meinem Einkaufszettel gleich kommt. :lol:

--

Das fiel mir ein als ich ausstieg.
    Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
    Werbung
    #519231  | PERMALINK

christof

@Dr. Music
    ich trinke was ich in die Hände bekomme. Gestern abend war das eine sehr leckere Flasche Weißwein vom Lidl, für 2,50 Euro, der wirklich gemundet hat als hätte er 10 Euro gekostet. Den spärlichen Rest werde ich heute Abend nach dem anstrengenden Bürotag vertilgen.

@all
    hier die FAQs von der Seite dieses verrückten, einsamen Norwegers (http://members.fortunecity.com/acclaimedmusic/):

Questions & Answers

Who is Henrik Franzon?

I am 29 years old and from Stockholm, Sweden. My interest in critics lists started in 1994, when I read Pop’s list of the 100 best albums in the world. I put together an ultimate list from a couple of lists in Swedish magazines. Soon thereafter I discovered Julian’s rock lists with lists from all over the world. Full of enthusiasm I continued to compile lists, but did not find a computing method that gave a fair result. For example, I did not want the UK records to overtake records from other parts of the world just because I came over a new list from a UK magazine, and how would I compare new records (with no chance to be included in older lists) with older ones.

I started working as a statistician (surprise!) in 1997 and as I became more familiar with statistical computer programs, I began thinking if it could be possible to write a program that would justify for all the factors I had in mind. At last I succeeded. Last year I got the idea of the concept of this site, and since then I have been sitting several late evenings in front of my computer to get the site running.

Here is my top 5 albums of all time. I guess the list says as much as anything else about my musical taste.

1. Lou Reed „Berlin“
    2. Simon and Garfunkel „Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme“
    3. Sly and the Family Stone „Stand!“
    4. Scott Walker „Scott 4“
    5. Massive Attack „Protection“

When I do not listen to music I run in the forest with a map and a compass seeking for controls, a tough and intellectual sport called orienteering which is most popular up here in the Nordic countries.

Which lists have been included for the compilation of the Acclaimed Music lists?

Almost all critics lists I have got my hand on, including best-of-year lists, best-of-all-times lists etc. from critics, artists and music industry people all over the world. Lists by people who work with music. Personal critics lists have been omitted with the exception of lists published in books and special essays in magazines, like Elvis Costello’s in Vanity Fair. Best-of-lists within a special genre of rock are only included if they are from a magazine that is specialized on the genre. Readers lists of all kind have been omitted.

Why are not readers lists included?

Simply to achieve a homogenous result. Critics lists and readers lists are in general quite different, with a much heavier inclusion of new-released records in the readers lists. If critics lists and readers lists were put together, there would not be a clear interpretation of the result. Would it be the opinion of the whole world’s music listening population? I doubt that. Besides, the Virgin top 1000 albums and the All Time Top 100 Albums by Martijn Boeren already show the result from votes by both critics and readers in an excellent way.

How have the lists been compiled?

This is really not simple to explain. Please do not despair if you do not fully understand…

I have written a program which computes the lists, but first I manually pick out at least 30 albums or singles from each year that exist in most of and/or in the top of the lists described above.

The basic idea is that I match all records against each other in pairs. In a match, each critics list is weighted depending on
    * the number of lists I have from different parts of world (USA, UK or the rest of the world)
    ** when the list was presented (newer lists are weighted more heavily)
    *** how many matches the list is a part of (a list which only embraces a few years is not part of many matches and is therefore weighted heavily in the matches where it is included).

To be able to compare new records (which only exist on best-of-year-lists) with older records, I have put together best-of-year-list from the same magazine, e.g. the #1 record on NME’s best-of-year-list of 2001 beats not only the other records from year 2001, but also #2, #3… from older NME’s best-of-year-lists. Of course with less weight in each match (see *** above).

The weight of a list when one of the records is outside the list depends on which records that are included in the list. The more records that are included among my pick of 30 recordings from each year, the heavier weight.

If a record is preferred over the opponent in at least 75% of all critics lists (after weighting each list) where at least one of the two records have been listed, the record gets a maximum match point and the opponent gets no match point. If the 2 records are preferred in 25-75% of the critics lists, the maximum match point is shared between the 2 records.

I thereafter weight all matches due to the number of lists that are included in each match (it is more important to have a high match point in a match based on many lists). All records get a score between 0 and 1000 (a record with maximum match point in each match would get the score 1000). The score is then corrected due which opponents a record has been matched against. This is because the critical acclaim of rock music differs between years (in most of the all-time-lists the majority of the records are from the 70’s or earlier). If the mean score of the opponents is above average, the corrected sum score becomes slightly greater and vice versa.

How do your music taste affect the compiled lists?

Not at all. So don’t blame me for the omission of Judas Priest’s „Sad Wings of Destiny“.

Why are music genres like jazz, world and classical music not included?

Most of the critics lists I have found are from rock music magazines and these usually cover rock, soul, rap, folk, country, blues and reggae, but only in some cases jazz, world and classical music. Because the compiled lists would be biased towards a poor result for these genres I decided to not include them at all.

The boundary line between the included and excluded genres is (fortunately) almost invisible. To give a few examples, I have included Scott Walker, Steely Dan and Brian Eno, while Frank Sinatra, Miles Davis, Philip Glass and King Sunny Adé have been excluded.

And there are no compilation albums?

I have also excluded all „greatest hits“ and „best of“ albums, since they are only seldom included in the critics lists. However, to get many of the singles on the lists you will have to buy a compilation album. For artists with no albums listed, a collection is in general preferable.

Why do the album lists cover music from 1948 and the singles lists from 1949?

Blues, country and folk music are included in the lists and these music genres clearly existed before 1948. However, the first vinyl records were released in 1948 and 1949 (33 rpm and 45 rpm respectively) and it felt like a good starting point, although some of the oldest singles in the list were probably only released on 78 rpm.

How many records are there on the Acclaimed Music lists altogether?

At the moment, 1230 albums and 1485 singles are included on the by-year and by-artist lists.

How can I stop all the pop-ups?

I’m sorry, but you can’t. All pages takes approximately 40MB of space, and it would be too expensive for me to run these pages without any advertisement. With the pop-ups, FortuneCity allows me to use 100MB of free space.

Tip: If you do not always close the pop-up frame, new pop-up frames will not appear every time you open a new page.

Is Acclaimed Music the final word of the best albums and singles in rock history?

No. We all (should) have our own favourites, as well as our musical taste changes through the years. The Acclaimed Music lists will also change when new critics lists will be included.

Acclaimed Music is a collection of albums and singles which have been recommended by people who really care about rock music. The site has been created to make it easy for you to find these recordings.

Good luck with your search!

#519233  | PERMALINK

fred-schluckebier

@otis
    Klar, dass da nicht sooo arg viel Soul dabei ist. Soul ist doch eher Singles-orientiert (Ausnahmen bestätigen die Regel!)… :sauf:

--

Shot a man in Reno just to watch him die...
    #519235  | PERMALINK

otis

da haste wohl recht. mit anderen worten: weil alle so lp fixiert sind, wollen sie alle keinen soul hören!!
    dabei ist es doch schon eine unglaubliche kunst, überhaupt mal drei minuten toller musik auf die reihe zu bekommen.

--

FAVOURITES
    #519237  | PERMALINK

fred-schluckebier

Genau! Und diese Kunst wird im Soul so verdammt oft erreicht. Und noch etwas: Ich kann Soul faktisch immer auflegen! Die negativste Reaktion, die ich dabei bisher erfahren habe, war, dass sich niemand gestört gefühlt hat. Und wenn ich mal uninspiriert bin oder lieber ’ne Runde kickern will, dann leg‘ ich einfach ’nen Soul-Sampler ein und die Leute wippen einfach mit! (Kunststück, wie könnten sie auch anders…)
    :sauf:

--

Shot a man in Reno just to watch him die...
    #519239  | PERMALINK

thomyorke

Unfassbar!
    Ich habe die Liste noch nicht gelesen… Als ich den Topic-Namen gelesen habe, habe ich mich gefragt, ob ich überhaupt von 1000 Platten mehr als nur den Namen kenne!

--

Und davon handeln wir.
    #519241  | PERMALINK

hellcreeper

Als find das schon heftig übertrieben!
    Die besten 1000 Platten!
    krieg mal die hundert in eine mehr oder weniger geordnete reihe!
    – Aber gleich 1000!

Alle achtung

--

Wenn da Tomaten drin wären, dann wäre es Zwiebelsuppe!
    #519243  | PERMALINK

dr-music

@ hellcreeper

Aber dieser Norweger ist doch hauptberuflich Statistiker und hat ein Programm entwickelt, der die Faves der vielen Musik-Journalisten auswertet. Das sind nicht seine eigenen TOP 1000.

Also ich werd´s mal probieren… :lol: :lol:

--

Jetzt schon 62 Jahre Rock 'n' Roll
    #519245  | PERMALINK

beatlebum

Obwohl auch an Singles orientiert haben die Beatles 5 Alben in den Top Twenty und extra für Otis ist auch Rubber Soul dabei.

--

Captain Beefheart to audience: Is everyone feeling all right? Audience: Yeahhhhh!!! awright...!!! Captain Beefheart: That's not a soulful question, that's a medical question. It's too hot in here.
    #519247  | PERMALINK

dr-music

Das zeigt zum Glück bei den Kritikern, was sie von den Fab Four halten.
    Verdammt viel!!! Righty right… :) :)

Qualität setzt sich oft auch durch. Siehe z.B. nur Stones, Elvis, Dylan, Van and many others…

--

Jetzt schon 62 Jahre Rock 'n' Roll
    #519249  | PERMALINK

common-one

bißchen arg neil young-lastig, was? :-)

--

#519251  | PERMALINK

Anonym
    Inaktiv

So, danke an unseren doc !
    Habe mir diese Listen mal kurz angeschaut, vielleicht demnächst hin und wieder öfter.
    Was mir auf die Schnelle sofort auffällt :
    Die 60s sind total überbewertet !

Achja, und dann noch was sehr Wichtiges : Stockholm liegt in Schweden (ist sogar die Hauptstadt). Der verrückte Norweger ist also wohl ein verrückter Schwede !

--

#519253  | PERMALINK

otis

herbert, dass dus nicht lernst, die60s kann man nicht überbewerten!!! :D

--

FAVOURITES
    #519255  | PERMALINK

beatlebum

norwegen ist wohl auch etwas überbewertet :D

--

Captain Beefheart to audience: Is everyone feeling all right? Audience: Yeahhhhh!!! awright...!!! Captain Beefheart: That's not a soulful question, that's a medical question. It's too hot in here.
    #519257  | PERMALINK

Anonym
    Inaktiv

norwegen ist wohl auch etwas überbewertet :D

Alter Schwede ! :D

--

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 16 bis 30 (von insgesamt 61)

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.