Re: Midlake – Antiphon (Herbst 2013)

#8918803  | PERMALINK

fuse

Ich habe gerade noch ein paar Info’s zu Tim Smith’s Abschied in einem Interview gefunden:

Last November Tim [Smith] decided that it wasn’t for him anymore and basically bailed on the band and the album in progress that we had busted our arses trying to get up to par. I was willing to take as long as it needed to get there, and he decided that he’d leave. He quit the band and moved away from Denton. So the very next day when he had said he’d quit, the rest of us got together and decided that [we’re] not giving up on this.

We said lets keep working and create something, and if that means we start from scratch, then we start from scratch and create our own new thing. [And] that’s exactly what we did. We canned everything that was made – all the music – there was easily an album and a half of music that we had made – it all got canned unfortunately. Unfortunately in the way that it was time wasted, you know what I mean? But in hindsight I think we created something together that had more life and joy and passion, and more collective input from anybody than ever before. And so, in six months we wrote and recorded a whole new record.

HA: So Tim wasn’t replaced, everybody just stepped up the game and moved into new roles
EP: Exactly. I was already singing a lot and even doubling melodies (some live), so obviously it was a transition. I don’t want to take anything away from Tim because he was very important to what we did as a band, but you know, it’s kind of a testament to you when you’re kind of pushed back into a corner, what are you going to do?

Everybody really stepped up, and I think part of it was really an organic thing where everybody felt more empowered. They felt that the onus was on them now, like, “Ok, what do you want to do?” What do you have to say? Whats inside of you?” and everybody totally answered that call, which was encouraging and necessary.

Full interview: http://wetalkyoudie.tv/interview-midlake/

Mal sehen, wie die Band das verkraftet hat – er war ja immerhin Sänger UND Songschreiber.

--