Re: Ich höre gerade … Jazz!

#8487605  | PERMALINK

atom

OTOMO YOSHIHIDE & PAAL NILSSEN-LOVE

Von LP sicherlich nur das halbe Vergnügen, aber selbst das kann absolut begeistern.

Bruce Lee Gallanter/Downtown Music GalleryFeaturing Otomo Yoshihide on guitar and Paal Nilssen-Love on drums. This set was recorded live at the Copenhagen Jazzhouse on May 4 of 2013. I played this disc loud in the store the other day (7/7/14) and was knocked out by the duo. Way intense! Mr. Yoshihide is one of the most gifted and diverse musicians and bandleaders to emerge from Japan in the last 1/4 century. Besides being a great electric guitarist (check out early Ground Zero), he also is a formidable turntablist and electronic wizard. He is a restless explorer who combines multiple genres, styles or ideas at his own whim. After a series of amazing (in-between-categories) discs for the Tzadik label, he contributed to a number of groundbreaking improv sessions for the controversial Erstwhile label. His New Jazz Quintet and Orchestra projects remain a favorite to many of his devoted fans. For this session, Otomo teams up with powerhouse drummer for The Thing and Atomic, Paal Nilssen-Love, another diverse and ultra-creative drummer who works with dozens of like-minded players from around the globe (Peter Brotzmann, Akira Sakata, Arto Lindsay & Scorch Trio). This disc is fabulous, brutal in part, consistently focused and engaging! This set is not just over-the-top but a more balanced excursion. There is a section in the first third which is somber, eerie and filled with suspense. Quiet feedback and bowed or rubbed strings. Mr. Nilssen-Love is the perfect duo partner and has recorded more than a dozen duo discs throughout the years. At nearly 34 minutes, one might think that this disc was not long enough, but this is not the case. I was at the edge of my seat for the entire length of this totally cosmic duo session!

--

Hey man, why don't we make a tune... just playin' the melody, not play the solos...