Antwort auf: Jazz & Brasil

#8359235  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

gypsy tail windRandy Brecker – Randy in Brasil (Mama Records 2008)

Die hab ich gestern spottbillig im Mediamarkt aus der Grabbelkiste gezogen. Bin ja an sich kein Fan von Randys Kompressortrompete, aber… mal sehen, ob das Ding was taugt.

In der Washington Post gab’s gestern einen Artikel zum fünfzigjährigen Jubiläum der Aufnahme von Getz/Byrds Jazz Samba:

Snare. Cymbals. Kick. Piece by piece, Buddy Deppenschmidt extracted his drum kit from his Volkswagen Beetle and schlepped it into All Souls Church on the corner of 16th and Harvard streets NW. He remembers the morning of Feb. 13, 1962, as cold and clear.

“But I was so up, it could have been a cloudy day and I would have thought it was sunny,” says Deppenschmidt, 76, over the phone from his home in Ottsville, Pa. “I was just so happy we were finally doing this thing.”

This thing. “Jazz Samba.” The landmark album he was about to record with his boss, guitarist Charlie Byrd, and his hero, saxophonist Stan Getz. To everyone’s surprise, the album would be a spectacular hit, introducing American ears to the sweet nothings of Brazilian bossa nova and launching a pop craze that would survive to become one of the most enduring dialects in jazz.

… weiterlesen

[Bezahlschranke]

zuletzt geändert von gypsy-tail-wind

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba