Re: Blind Fold Test #9: Friedrich

#8284565  | PERMALINK

vorgarten

gypsy tail wind#14, klar!

Bei „Angel Eyes“ denke ich nicht an Ella… ich weiss spontan nicht mal, auf welchem Album sie es singt! Ich sehe: Decca und „Twelve Nights in Hollywood“… die Decca-Jahre sind ja eh nicht ihre guten (und ich hab mir erst grad die Box gekauft, kenne diese Version also noch nicht, diejenige aus den 60ern hab ich zumindest nicht im Ohr, falls ich schon so weit ins Hollywood-Set vorgedrungen bin).

ich meinte diese version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBFqQMIz8VM

According to composer Matt Dennis, Herb Jeffries was the first to record “Angel Eyes,” but the song’s popularity faltered when Jeffries’ recording company folded. Nat “King” Cole then recorded the song as the B-side to his 1953 hit, “Return to Paradise.” Dennis, however, credits Ella Fitzgerald as the vocalist who popularized “Angel Eyes” saying, “Finally Ella recorded it for Norman Granz. She’s done it four times since. I’m thrilled because she’s always included it in her shows.”
“Angel Eyes” can be found on a number of Ella Fitzgerald CDs. Her earliest recording of the song is with Sy Oliver and His Orchestra from June 26, 1952, and is included on 75th Birthday Celebration (1993) and The Last Decca Years 1949-1954 (1999). A July 24, 1957, recording is on First Lady of Song (1993) and Ultimate Ella (1997). The song also appears in a live concert from April 25, 1958, Ella in Rome (1988), and circa 1960, The Intimate Ella (1990). The latter CD contains duets with pianist Paul Smith, which were originally released as Songs from Let No Man Write My Epitaph, although not all of the tracks are in the film.

Fitzgerald often cited “Angel Eyes” as one of her favorite songs, and Chris Connor claims that Ella personally told her that it was her all-time favorite. Carol Sloane, on the other hand, claims Fitzgerald’s favorite was “I Want Something to Live For.” Fitzgerald delivers equally heartfelt performances of both these songs on the DVD American Masters: Ella Fitzgerald Something to Live For (1999). A New York Times article notes, “Because both songs are sad, they hint at feelings that Fitzgerald kept mostly to herself, since she infused everything she performed with a sense of joy and almost heavenly confidence.”

von hier.

--