Re: Phil Cohran

#8123213  | PERMALINK

thelonica

Ted Panken: What was the scene like when you returned to Chicago in 1968? Did you immediately go back to the AACM type situations?

Henry Threadgill: I was playing with the AACM, but I was playing with Phil Cohran also. Phil Cohran is a very important bandleader, composer, theoretician, historian, and also one of the people who founded the Afro-Arts Theater which was an important institution in Chicago, that presented a wealth of music-dance events. They had a lot of great musicians under his leadership. The original people from the Earth, Wind and Fire group were all there. There were a lot of great musicians in that particular camp. I worked with him, and I think Stubblefield was in the band with the guitarist Pete Cosey. Sonny Rollins‘ aunt or cousin I think was in that band. There was a tuba player who later became a bass player, Tyus Palmer. Phil Cohran was very important, and he’s still very important in Chicago. He’s still a great musical thinker and leader in Chicago.

Hier ist das tolle Interview mit Threadgill, mit dem ich mich demnächst mal intensiver beschäftigen möchte.

--