Re: Nessa Records

#7851879  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

gerade von Chuck Nessa angekündigt (voraussichtlich für Mitte Oktober):

Never released before! Before There Was „Sound“, the landmark debut album for Chicago’s AACM recorded by Roscoe Mitchell for Delmark in the fall of 1966, there was a changing roster of Mitchell ensembles. The Mitchell Quartet recorded the present sessions approximately a year before „Sound“ – no one remembers the exact date, only that it was probably late summer – early fall. Whatever the exact date, this album presents the earliest recordings available of the work of the AACM, probably taped shortly after the first meeting of the organization in May 1965. Members of the quartet include Fred Berry – trumpet, Malachi Favors – bass and Alvin Fielder – drums. Compositions include 5 Mitchell originals and one each by Berry and Favors.

Roscoe Mitchell Quartet
Before There Was Sound
ncd-34

Roscoe Mitchell – alto saxophone
Fred Berry – trumpet & flugelhorn
Malachi Favors – bass
Alvin Fielder – drums

1. Mr. Freddy 6:26
2. Green 3:08
3. Outer Space 12:11
4. Carefree 6:28
5. Akhenaten 7:43
6. And There Was Peace 7:01
7. Jo Jar 5:07
8. Carefree #2 4:36

Compositions by Roscoe Mitchell with the exception of Green which is by Fred Berry and Akhenaton which is by Malachi Favors.

1-6 probably recorded in the Summer of ’65 by Pete Bishop at station WUBC, Chicago
7 & 8 probably recorded later in ’65.

Earl Lavon Freeman, recipient of the NEA Jazz Master award for 2012, recorded this music during a marathon session in 1975. That amazing session also yielded the date called „Serenade & Blues“. Von told historian Terry Martin „Now the thing we did with Chuck to me was a miracle because he just let me do it my way and I have never been in the studio and seen a man so relaxed…and I’m generally a very relaxed man. I must have been the most nervous man in there.“ This reissue adds „Boomerang“, a Freeman composition to the original LP release.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/52994-the-nessa-juggernaut-rolls-on/page__view__findpost__p__1132949

Von „Have No Fear“ habe ich die japanische Lizenz-Ausgabe von 1997 (CD auf dem Label Bomba Records – der Bonustrack ist dort auch schon enthalten) – ein grossartiges Album und zusammen mit „Serenade and Blues“ meiner Ansicht nach der Höhepunkt von Von Freemans offizieller Diskographie.
Auf die frühe Session von Mitchell bin ich sehr gespannt! Ein paar kurze Fragmente, die auf Dime landeten, haben den Release fast verhindert und vermutlich einige Jahre verzögert… und ich freue mich enorm, dass die Aufnahme jetzt doch noch erscheint!

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba