Re: The Chicago Sound

#7451001  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Ein sehr spannender Post von Lazaro Vega (der für Blue Lake Public Radio arbeitet), den ich hier fand:

There came a time where the notion of ‚the tradition‘ changed. And I remember it well, the day it dawned on me that something wasn’t the same any more. I was working at WKAR radio in East Lansing as a board operator (student job) around 1980, and Ken Beechler, the head honcho for cultural programming at the Wharton Center, and long before that the primary, go-to cultural programmer of performing arts at MSU, who knew I loved jazz, took a long pull on his cigarette, looked me in the eye and said, „So you support the „tradition“ of jazz.“ The way he said it, obviously after having gotten wind of something in the air, was not what Arthur Blythe, or Bluiett, or the World Saxophone Quartet, or Muhal, or the Art Ensemble meant when they said the same thing. There was the ’spirit‘ of tradition, sanctified in recordings, and then there was this new thing, as it turns out, the codification of tradition for polemic reasons.

I don’t think the Chicago guys bought that. Von’s example of the tradition was one incorporating Bird, Ammons AND Sun Ra, so it was mutable, not in the fickle sense, but just that is wasn’t over yet.

And the Chicagoans were living the echoes of their own revolutions in jazz, the 1920’s and the 1960’s, with the great consolidations of the swing era were a central part of the city. To say noting of the blues.

So in a sense the mathematical implications of Trane’s music were heard and felt in Chicago, it’s just that they resulted in Anthony Braxton.

Bebop was more of a New York based „movement,“ while Chicago wasn’t as likely to get bogged down in harmonic labyrinths that bop eventually led to (which „caused“ the whole hard bop reaction, etc.). Maybe it’s the same with ‚Trane: there are so many implications to ‚Trane’s ENTIRE output, why get stuck in a perpetual search for the tonic?

It’s almost as if the New York guys you’re talking about are like the West Coast guys of the 1950’s: that bop was something to revere and tinker with.

Es geht dort noch weiter um Chicago (u.a. Joe Farrell, Wilbur Campbell etc), auch wenn das dort off-topic ist (darum erwähn ich’s auch hier, sonst finden wir’s nie wieder :lol: )

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #150: Neuheiten 2023/24 – 12.3., 22:00; #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba