Re: David Hasselhoff

#620079  | PERMALINK

herr-rossi
-

James Masterton in seinem aktuellen Chart-Review auf uk.launch.yahoo:

The highest new entry of the week is a single which smashes into the Top 3 not only by dint of having a comparatively rare simultaneous shop and online release but also thanks to a grassroots internet campaign to send the single to the very top of the chart. Twenty years on from Knight Rider and a decade away from the TV dominance of Baywatch, actor David Hasselhoff appears to have slipped nicely into his third wave of fame this time as an adopted national treasure. His status as a cultural reference point for two whole generations has led to him embracing his current status as an ironic cult figure with some gusto. Alongside his role in the new movie ‚Click‘ he has now managed to turn the nation on to the other thing he has until now been famous for everywhere in Europe but here – singing.

Yes, he sang one version of the Baywatch theme and yes, we’ve all heard tales of how ‚Looking For Freedom‘ is one of Germany’s biggest selling records ever and how he performed it on top of the Berlin wall when it came down 17 years ago, but until now his only link with the UK charts has been the Number 35 single ‚If I Could Only Say Goodbye‘ which charted in November 1993 at the height of Baywatch mania. All that changes this week with the arrival on the chart of ‚Jump In My Car‘ which, complete with its high camp and very self-aware video storms in at Number 3. I still can’t work out just how aware he is that the hero worship that follows his every move on these shores is done in celebration of his apparent naffness rather than out of genuine admiration but if he does know it, he has picked the perfect way to milk it to the full. The song itself actually predates all his career achievements, having originally been a hit in Australia for Ted Mulry way back in 1975. The closest the track has ever come to being a UK hit came a year later when Chris Spedding released a version which failed to tickle the charts.

--