Re: Die Lieblingsalben der Musiker

#5603771  | PERMALINK

krautathaus

Top Ten alltime Faves v. Howe Gelb:

http://howegelb.com/2007/02/01/my-top-10-all-time-favorite-records-on-this-day-of-1507/

1. ROLLING STONES – STICKY FINGERS
„This is the most perfectly produced record ever….“

2. (a) THE THELONIOUS MONK ORCHESTRA – LIVE AT TOWN HALL
„…There is such a vital warmth to this recording. Like the humidity in the room then seeps out from the speakers now when you spin it…“
(b)THELONIOUS MONK – EVIDENCE
„…grants a very interesting look into the mind of the man.“

3. NEIL YOUNG AND CRAZY HORSE – EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS IS NOWHERE
„…It’s not the songs so much, just the sound of the record that has stuck with me. His guitar was the guitar that inoculated me to ever play guitar…“

4. MILES DAVIS – ASCENSEUR POUR L’ECHAFAUD
„In my opinion, this record is the true sound of the desert. This record got played over and over when I lived in the middle of nowhere. The sound of it would float the day away out there in joshua tree land…“

5. RAINER – ALPACA LIPS
„…This record is a monument to the man’s momentum….“

6. BOB DYLAN – MODERN TIMES
„It’s very important to know a man can come up with his best work in his 60s, regardless of how outstanding his output was when he was a young man in the 60s. He has finally found the sonic trust to record with his touring band. His offhanded lyrical delivery is as deeply effective as ever, and his sense of rhythm is a mesh of the borrowed and a sheen of the evolved. It is infinitely freshly mesmerizing upon every listen, like a master craftsman we needed him to be, made all the more emblazoned by his credo of never listening to his own records….“

7. HOWE GELB – ‘SNO ANGEL LIKE YOU
„… also because I do not want to call the people that love this record a bunch of liars.“:-)

8. FEIST – LET IT DIE
„…This record now gets played every available moment in our house for its sheer exuberance. …“

9. TOM WAITS – ORPHANS
„This record should have been put way up on the list, but since I hate doing lists, it is number 9 by contrasting incident. And I think he would have wanted feist to go first anyway, ever the gentleman. Can’t explain # 7 however…“

10. DAVID BOWIE – THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST AND THE SPIDERS FROM MARS
„…Best not to forget that hank williams, the true father of glam rock, was the first david bowie. This record needs to be moved up to the number one position now, and let the stones deal with it.“

--

“It's much harder to be a liberal than a conservative. Why? Because it is easier to give someone the finger than a helping hand.” — Mike Royko