Laura Marling – Alas I Cannot Swim

Startseite Foren Die Tonträger: Aktuell und Antiquariat Aktuelle Platten Laura Marling – Alas I Cannot Swim

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 33)
  • Autor

firecracker

VÖ UK: 4. Februar 2008
    VÖ Deutschland: 22. Februar 2008

1. Ghosts
    2. Old Stone
    3. Tap At My Window
    4. Failure
    5. You’re No God
    6. Cross Your Fingers
    7. (Interlude) Crawled Out Of The Sea
    8. My Manic And I
    9. Night Terror
    10. The Captain And The Hourglass
    11. Shine
    12. Your Only Doll (Dora)

Quote:
    Monday February 4, 2008
    The Guardian

‚My songs are not pretty‘

At the age of just 18, Laura Marling may be Britain’s most promising singer-songwriter. She tells Jude Rogers about her dark, bold music

sp.gif
    In a recent posting on a music website, one of Laura Marling’s growing army of fans described her output as „pretty folk songs about boys“. „That made me so angry,“ says Marling, her white-blonde hair held back in a clip, her thin frame wrapped in a trench coat. This girlish figure sitting opposite me in a west London cafe may have just turned 18, but her songs bear the experience of someone much more mature.

„No, no, seriously,“ she goes on. „Take another look. My songs are not pretty. They’re what I call optimistic realism.“ She tips her head impishly. „Some are depressing, and I have depressive sides to my character, like most people, but I’m always telling myself to look on the bright side.“

In a music scene teeming with talented young women, Marling stands apart as quite possibly Britain’s most promising singer-songwriter. She’s not a soul-influenced ingenue like Adele or Duffy, nor a pop performer in the style of Lily Allen or Kate Nash (with whom she has toured), but an accomplished performer in the folk vein. In fact, she manages to make folk feel modern. Her bold, dark songs recall Joni Mitchell or Neil Young, yet remain her own. She has already notched up a Glastonbury performance and, hilariously, was refused entry to her own gig at a London venue for being too young – so she busked outside instead.

(…)
    music.guardian.co.uk

http://www.myspace.com/lauramarling

schönes Album …

--

Dirty, dirty feet from the concert in the grass / I wanted to believe that freedom there could last (Willy Mason)
    Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
    Werbung
    #6443543  | PERMALINK

sweetheart
    trouble loves me

Erscheint das Album wirklich nur als CD? Bitte um gegensätzliche Information.

--

My favourite 45s and LPs of all time.
    #6443545  | PERMALINK

jules

Amazon hat es auch nur als Cd gelistet, sieht also so aus.

--

#6443547  | PERMALINK

firecracker

dafür gibt’s eine special edition/box mit allerlei schönen dingen, wie auch einem ticket für ein konzert in GB. lohnt sich aber wohl nur, wenn man das ticket auch einlösen kann….

--

Dirty, dirty feet from the concert in the grass / I wanted to believe that freedom there could last (Willy Mason)
    #6443549  | PERMALINK

firecracker

Album: Laura Marling, Alas, I Cannot Swim (Virgin)
    Reviewed by Andy Gill
    Friday, 8 February 2008

Even by the advanced standards of precocity displayed by many of today’s tyro performers, Laura Marling is an extraordinary young talent. Listening to the mature reflections and acute observations in these 13 songs, it’s hard to accept that their author turned 18 this week, and is already getting her second wind, dismissing her earlier output as „shit pop“ and „absolutely awful“.

The change in her work apparently came through encountering Bonnie Prince Billy’s haunting I See a Darkness, an aesthetic epiphany that forced her to think more deeply about what she was doing. The result is Alas, I Cannot Swim, on which her young voice reveals an old, old heart. It’s most evident in songs like „Old Stone“, in which a standing stone – „10,000 years and you’re still on your own“ – prompts reflections on the comforts of solitude and self-sufficiency, while rolling tom-toms swell and ebb against the drone of harmonium; and in „Cross Your Fingers“, in which apprehension about the fragility of seemingly secure structures leads to contemplation of the broad flood-plain of old age leading to the estuary of death.

Elsewhere, one gets an impression of someone building their worldview as they grow, struggling to deal with new situations, and simultaneously drawn to both the outgoing urges of youth and more introspective moods. In „My Manic & I“, she’s caught up in a torrent of doubt which, one suspects, is self-directed: „I can’t control you, I don’t know you well, these are the reasons I think that you’re ill“; while over the sombre acoustic guitar picking of „Shine“, she warns a potential emotional intruder: „I need shine – stay away from my light.“ But there are shafts of light; in the opener, „Ghosts“, a young man scarred by „a ghost that broke my heart before I met you“ ultimately finds redemptive love with the singer. „It turned out I’d been following him, and he’d been following me,“ she explains.

Marling goes against the grain of most modern pop, eschewing mockney bitchiness, diva showboating, indie guilt and trite hip-hop attitudes in favour of a folksy simplicity relying on well-turned melodies and sensitive arrangements of guitar, piano and violin embellished by French horn, trumpet or accordion, and even a male voice choir. Producer Charlie Fink has created a warm, welcoming instrumental backdrop that frames Marling’s voice perfectly, revealing (but not accentuating) the echoes of singers like Sandy Denny, Jacqui McShea and Jolie Holland. It all adds up to a hugely impressive debut from an outstanding talent.

The Independent

--

#6443551  | PERMALINK

one-be-lo

Ist New Romantic nicht auf dem Album?

--

#6443553  | PERMALINK

firecracker

nein, als „hidden track“ zusätzlich zur obigen tracklist nur noch „alas i cannot swim“.

passt sehr schön so, die songauswahl, obwohl „new romantic“ natürlich klasse ist.

--

#6443555  | PERMALINK

firecracker

Mit einem kunstvoll gestalteten Cover hat man schon die erste Aufmerksamkeit. Mit einem Blick ins ebenso schöne Booklet sollte eigentlich alles klar sein.

(source)

welches Booklet? Ich hab‘ keins. :roll:

--

#6443557  | PERMALINK

one-be-lo

firecracker(source)

welches Booklet? Ich hab‘ keins. :roll:

Tatsächlich nicht? Wo hast du es her?

Booklet ist ganz nett, außerdem mit den jeweiligen Lyrics. Auch sonst ein sehr gelungenes Album, wobei mir New Romantic schon etwas fehlt. ;-)

--

#6443559  | PERMALINK

firecracker

dafür ist die „my manic and i“ ep (mit „new romantic“ drauf; und „typical“ – der mindestens ebenso toll ist wie ersterer) ja aber auch sehr schön…

von play.com (nicht das erste mal. aber das erste mal ohne booklet)
    hast du denn auch ein digipack (wenn man’s aufklappt, stehen auf der innenseite all die infos)? kann mir kaum vorstellen, dass es in meiner version fehlt, bzw., dass es dabei sein sollte. oder liegt’s bei dir einfach nur so drin?
    ja, die lyrics hätte ich auch gerne….

--

#6443561  | PERMALINK

one-be-lo

Ich habe ein Jewel-Case (also diese normale CD-Hülle). Das Booklet liegt an bekannter Stelle.

--

#6443563  | PERMALINK

firecracker

one.be.loIch habe ein Jewel-Case (also diese normale CD-Hülle). Das Booklet liegt an bekannter Stelle.

ja, da gibt’s wenig möglichkeiten, ein booklet zu verstecken… ;-) im digipack ja ansich schon. aber in meinem nicht.

wo hast du dein album denn her? ein freund hat’s nämlich in einem hamburger plattenladen bestellt (sollte es nicht mittlerweile auch hier im laden stehen?!) und meint er würde wohl auch die digipack-version bekommen, ohne überhaupt vor die wahl gestellt worden zu sein. bei amazon steht nicht, um welche version es sich handelt. und die song box gibt’s über marketplace inzwischen für 56,60 euro (bei cd-wow etwas günstiger – aber lohnt die sich?).

auf der offiziellen seite gibt’s die lyrics auch nicht.

die „my manic & i“ ep gibt’s nicht mal mehr über amazon marketplace. habe sie nur im daten-format.

ist das kompliziert.

--

#6443565  | PERMALINK

one-be-lo

Ich habe meins von http://www.grooves-inc.com/. Als Versand allgemein zu empfehlen, preislich tlw. wirklich weit unter dem dem was andere anbieten. Man muss nur genau suchen.

--

#6443567  | PERMALINK

firecracker

bei saturn gab’s die jewel case-version auch. hätte sie nicht knapp 20 euro gekostet, hätte ich mir das album noch mal gekauft.

und wenn das mal die richtige entscheidung war (empfand das huxley’s schon für nada surf als unpassend… wenigstens nicht in hamburg, sonst sähe ich mich doch noch gezwungen, ein ticket zu kaufen…):

Laura to support Adam Green in Europe

This April and May, Laura will be supporting New York anti-folk-er and ex Moldy-Peach Adam Green, on a number of dates throughout Europe. She’s quite the fan of Adam’s work, so very much looking forward to these ones. Here are the dates and venues…

April –
    22, Berlin, Huxleys
    26, WUK, Vienna, Austria
    27, Konzertau, Luzern
    28, Fri-sson, Fribourg
    29, Kaufleuten, Zurich

May –
    01, Circolo delgi Artisti, Rome
    02, Bronson, Ravenna
    04, Razzmatazz, Barcelona
    05, Sala Heineken, Madrid

--

#6443569  | PERMALINK

firecracker

live gleich: www.fabchannel.com/laura_marling :-)

--

Ansicht von 15 Beiträgen - 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 33)

Schlagwörter: 

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.