Re: Johnny Cash ist tot!

#1152449  | PERMALINK

dock

He gave a line heaven and hell
By Nick Cave
September 20, 2003

No one claimed a song like Johnny Cash – even when he sang flat. By Nick Cave.

I lost my innocence with Johnny Cash. I used to watch The Johnny Cash Show on television in Wangaratta when I was about nine or 10 years old. At that stage, I had really no idea about rock’n’roll. I watched him and, from that point, I saw that music could be an evil thing, a beautiful, evil thing.

For me, it was very much the way he began the show. He’d have his back to you in silhouette, dressed all in black, and he’d swing around and say: „Hi, I’m Johnny Cash.“ There was something that struck me about him, and about the way my parents shifted around uncomfortably.

I have always been interested in him from then on, always known him and known his stuff. I’ve covered several of his songs. The third Bad Seeds [Cave’s band] album was a cover album, and it had Cash’s song The Singer on it. We also did a version of Wanted Man, which Bob Dylan wrote for Cash. And we did a Cash-influenced version of The Long Black Veil.

On that record, I got an opportunity to sit back and sing softly, which creates a different kind of timbre to the voice, and it becomes darker and deeper and more affecting. This had to do with him singing these kinds of songs. Before that, I’d always pretty much screamed. It was through that that I understood there was some other way of approaching a song.

He did a version of [Cave’s song] The Mercy Seat. I got a call from Rick Rubin [Cash’s producer], that Cash wanted to record it and was that all right? That was pretty exciting. The version is so good. He just claims that song, as he does with so many. There’s no one who can touch him. I wrote and recorded that when I was fairly young, but he has a wealth of experience which he can bring. He can sing a line and give that line both heaven and hell.

Then I was in Los Angeles at the beginning of this year and got another call from Rubin, saying Cash was recording and did I want to come and record with him? I said: „Of course.“ I had a couple of hours the next day before I had to leave. I chose a Hank Williams song – I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry. I got to the studio and was a bit early, and was waiting for Cash to arrive and wondering how I would be able to sing, to hold my own with this incredible voice.

He arrived, and this man with such extraordinary generosity, such an immense spirit, made me feel so much at ease. I suggested this song, and he said: „Hey, yeah, Nick, I know that one. Let’s do it.“ And the band started up and we just did it. It was funny because I sang the song and then, at the end, Rubin said: „I’m sorry, we’re going to have to do it again.“ I said: „I’m flat, right?“ And Rubin said: „No, Johnny’s flat.“ He [Cash] said: „Yeah, I guess I was little off there.“ And we did it again.

When Cash first came down those stairs into the studio, he looked really frail and sick, but once he started singing, he was really brought back to life. It was an incredible thing to see.

For me it’s a very sad thing that he’s died, because there goes another one of these great voices. As far as I can see, there aren’t the people around to replace these people.

Rock musician Nick Cave was interviewed by Dan Glaister.

The Guardian

--