Antwort auf: 2019: Jazzgigs, -konzerte & -festivals

#10896515  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Danke auch von meiner Seite @dietmar_ – die Band ist schon ziemlich super … ich habe sie am 6. Februar 2016 live gehört, machte mich gerade auf die Suche, mein Bericht damals stand nur auf Org und ist entsprechend in Englisch. Ich weiss noch, wie ich damals zitterte, ob ich noch reinkommen würde … das Chaos-Management von Astatke hatte es verpasst, die Infos über die Gästeliste (auf die ich mich da ausnahmsweise mal setzen liess) an den Club weiterzuleiten, mit den beiden riesigen Schlangen (eine für Leute, die schon Ticket hatten, eine für die Abenkasse) und dazwischen verhandelte ich, am Ende mit der Leiterin des Moods, der ich dann den ganzen WhatsApp-Chat mit Hawkins zeigte, worauf sie mich doch noch rein liess …

Mulatu Astatke last night, at Moods in Zurich, Switzerland (my home town … well not quite, but I grew up 25 km outside of it) — great that Alexander Hawkins (who’s playing piano and keys) had me put on the guest list (almost didn’t work out), as some 80 minutes before the concert, there were huge queues already and it was so sold out, they had to send people away again!

Either way, the line up was: Mulatu Astatke (vib, perc, wurlitzer), Byron Wallen (t), James Arben (ts, fl), Alexander Hawkins (p, keys), Danny Keane (cello), Neil Charles (b), Tom Skinner (d), Richard Olatunde Baker (perc).

Guess Astatke himself was really the weakest link of a fantastic band that was really tight from the git-go although it took two or three tunes for the room to really start moving. They did one continuous set that turned out to be really long (didn’t check the time, but it must have been around 100 minutes) and by the end, the place was cooking. I enjoyed the solo contributions by all the guys a lot, most notably Wallen on trumpet (he had several spots) and Danny Keane on cello. Arben was terrific on tenor, for one long solo he built and built and ended up kinda chanelling the great Gétatchèw Mèkurya. Alex had just one real piano solo but he made the most out of it, later on he was heard prominently on keys (they should have brought in a real B3, but the stage was crowded already). The rhythms by all were really tight, not just the hook-up of Charles/Skinner/Baker (with the cello meshing in, too), but the keys and vibes and horns as well. So I ended up enjoying it as much for the group effort it was as for the contributions by each of the musicians on stage.

Had another chat with Alex afterwards and he kindly signed some CDs for me, too (and had Charles and Skinner sign the trio disc from last year, which I like a lot … the other one I brought along is maybe my favourite of his, the solo album „Song Singular“).

Dass Edwards nicht dabei war, war natürlich schade (aber 2016/17 hörte ich ihn wohl ca. zehn Mal, vom Solo über unterschiedlichste Bands, das Brötzmann-Festival in Warschau, das Intakt-Festival in London, eine Dyani-Hommage in Basel usw.), aber dafür gab’s als Rhythmusgruppe gleich das ganze Alexander Hawkins Trio, das natürlich super aufeinander abgestimmt ist. Seither habe ich Edwards leider nicht mehr live gesehen … er ist auf jeden Fall einer der besten Bassisten dieser Tage!

Anyway, das zeigt auch, dass die Mulatu-Band sehr stabil ist über all die Jahre (ich verpasste wohl einen Gig in Zürich und einen in Basel in der Zwischenzeit … in Genf waren sie wohl auch mal noch, aber das schaffe ich ohne Übernachtung unmöglich).

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba