Antwort auf: The Chicago Sound

#10422233  | PERMALINK

gypsy-tail-wind
Biomasse

Masterful but overlooked Chicago jazz drummer Robert Barry has died

Posted By Peter Margasak on 03.06.18 at 02:24 PM

It’s always sad when an important artist passes away, but it’s sadder when that passing goes unnoticed. Today I learned that great Chicago drummer Robert Barry died on January 8 at age 85, at Chalet Living and Rehab at 7350 N. Sheridan. And as far as I can tell, aside from his obituary nothing has been written about it—the only reason I can imagine for this state of affairs is that the people in a position to publish something just don’t know he’s gone. Barry was a quiet man in life and music, a lean and subtle drummer with a tightly coiled swing and an adaptable aesthetic—but as powerful as his presence, creativity, and rhythmic drive could be, he never let them distract from the design of whatever band he played in.

Weiterlesen hier:
https://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2018/03/06/masterful-but-overlooked-chicago-jazz-drummer-robert-barry-has-died

--

"Don't play what the public want. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you doin' -- even if it take them fifteen, twenty years." (Thelonious Monk) | Meine Sendungen auf Radio StoneFM: gypsy goes jazz, #151: Neuheiten aus dem Archiv – 09.04., 22:00 | Slow Drive to South Africa, #8: tba | No Problem Saloon, #30: tba