Mississippi Fred McDowell

Ansicht von 3 Beiträgen - 1 bis 3 (von insgesamt 3)
  • Autor

asdfjkloe

You Gotta Move (1964/5) *****
    Long Way From Home (1966) *** ½
    This Ain’t No Rock ’n’ Roll (’60’s)****

--

Highlights von Rolling-Stone.de
    Werbung
    #8618191  | PERMALINK

asdfjkloe

Update:

You gotta move (1964/5 Arhoolie) *****
    My Home Is In The Delta (1965 Testament) **** 1/2
    Amazing Grace (1966 Testament) **** ½
    Long way from home (1966 Milestone) *** 1/2
    This ain’t no Rock’n’Roll (1968/69 Arhoolie) ****
    I Do Not Play No Rock ‘n’ Roll (1969) ****

--

#8618193  | PERMALINK

hat-and-beard
    dial 45-41-000

Da dieser bisher der einzige McDowell-Thread ist, poste ich das mal hier. Simon Joyner betreibt parallel zu seinem Label Grapefruit auch einen kleinen Mailorder mit Reissues ausgewählter Platten. Dazu gibt es ab und zu einen Mail-Newsletter, in dem Joyner und seine Mailorder-Kollegen Platten empfehlen.

Simon Joyner über „I Do Not Play No Rock’n’Roll“:
    „You know that Vic Chesnutt lyric from his song, Parade? „Remember that time you took me to see Harold and Maude because I didn’t know the meaning of the word ‚catharsis‘?“ Everyone should have this record and play it all the time, for the same reason. What doesn’t kill you sometimes gives you the passport to the kind of empathy necessary to heal the whole goddamn world. Mississippi Fred McDowell is one of the best things to happen to the 20th century and this record is just one of his mighty testaments. „61 Highway“ is a Fred McDowell song. You think „Highway 61 Revisited“ just sprang unpollinated from Zeus‘ swollen head? Not likely, friends. „You Gotta Move“ is on here too, the Rolling Stones knew who to steal from, just as any self-preserving artist does. Fred means it when he says he doesn’t play rock-n-roll, but rock-n-roll cannot be played without asking him permission first.“

--

God told me to do it.
Ansicht von 3 Beiträgen - 1 bis 3 (von insgesamt 3)

Schlagwörter: 

Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.